1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plz help in the result of: sin3xdx+2y(cos3x)^3dy =0

1. Nov 4, 2008 #1
    1. Solve by Seperable Variable: sin3xdx + 2ycos33xdy = 0

2. We need write it in the form: dy/dx = g(x).h(y)

3. The attempt at a solution:

a few algebraic operations lead to: dy/dx = (-sin3x/cos33x).(1/2y) with h(y) = 1/2y
    now we have (y2)' = 2ydy = -sin3xdx/cos33x
    integrating we get: y2 = [tex]\int[/tex]-sin3xdx/cos33x =G(x)

thus y2 = (1/3).[tex]\int[/tex]d(cos3x)/cos33x = (1/3).(-1/2).(1/cos23x)
    so y2 = -1/6cos23x. :confused:

here i reached a dead end. is there anything wrong in the attempt or is it right as i think & the given d.e. is wrong ? note that i tried to solve it more then 10 times, i also tried the tan3x & its derivative but the -ve sign persists.

waiting for your help. thx in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Assuming that you mean : [tex]y^2=\frac{-1}{6cos^2(3x)}[/tex] , then your solution is correct.

When you differentiate it you get:

[tex]2ydy=(-2)(3) \left( \frac{sin^3(3x)}{6cos^3(3x)} \right)=\frac{-sin^3(3x)}{cos^3(3x)}[/tex]

which gives you back your original ODE...why were you thinking it was incorrect?

4. Nov 4, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That is a solution to the differential equation. It is not the general solution.

What happened to the constant of integration in [itex]y^2 = -\int sin3xdx/cos33x[/itex]

5. Nov 4, 2008 #4
    nop but my doctor gave it besides others as ana assignment & i tried it many times - at first yeh i though it was wrong - so i got the same answer over & over again.
    So there's some problem with the D.E. given. I use the book: A first Course in Differential equations by Dennis Zill 8th ed.

6. Nov 4, 2008 #5
    ofcorse its a solution. there's many sol.s , but eventhough the answer y2 is -ve which is impossible.

7. Nov 4, 2008 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi bobmerhebi! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    hmm … that took a long time …

it's quicker to start by separating them into the form h(y)dy = g(x)dx …

the clue's in the word "separable" :wink:
    Yes, you're wondering how the LHS can be positive and the RHS negative …

that'll teach you not to leave out the constant of integration in future, won't it? :rolleyes:

8. Nov 4, 2008 #7
    Re: Welcome to PF!

9. Nov 4, 2008 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry, bobmerhebi, but that makes no sense at all …

a constant of integration should just be added … at the end. :smile:

10. Nov 4, 2008 #9
    so it should look like this: y2 = -1/6cos23x+ c? im not getting it! It seems to be the same but a famile of solutions which i think are still invalid. Am I missing something?

11. Nov 4, 2008 #10

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes! :biggrin:

(except personally I'd write it y2 = C - 1/6cos23x)

12. Nov 4, 2008 #11

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is wrong with taking the square root of a negative number? You just get an imaginary value of y, no big deal....

If you only want real-valued solutions, then you have to restrict your Domain.

13. Nov 4, 2008 #12
    in this case the constant should be greater or equal than 1/6cos23x. so here there should be a condition right?

thx 4 the help

14. Nov 4, 2008 #13

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your constant is a constant...how can it always be larger than [itex]\frac{1}{6cos^2(3x)}[/itex]? ??

Instead, if you want only the real-valued solutions, you have to restrict your x-values (your Domain): only values of x for which [itex]\frac{-1}{6cos^2(3x)}+C \geq 0[/itex] give real solutions for y.

Your constant [itex]C[/itex] is determined by the initial conditions of the system. For example; if you are told that y(0)=1/sqrt(6), then C will be 1/3.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  15. Nov 4, 2008 #14

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, the constant should be ≥ 0. :smile:

(and as gabbagabbahey says, x is limited)

16. Nov 4, 2008 #15
    aha ok then the independent variable should be over a restricted domain to get real valued solutions otherwise the solution is in the complex system. thank you all 4 ur help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?