Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Plz help in the result of: sin3xdx+2y(cos3x)^3dy =0

1. Nov 4, 2008 #1
    1. Solve by Seperable Variable: sin3xdx + 2ycos33xdy = 0

2. We need write it in the form: dy/dx = g(x).h(y)

3. The attempt at a solution:

a few algebraic operations lead to: dy/dx = (-sin3x/cos33x).(1/2y) with h(y) = 1/2y
    now we have (y2)' = 2ydy = -sin3xdx/cos33x
    integrating we get: y2 = [tex]\int[/tex]-sin3xdx/cos33x =G(x)

thus y2 = (1/3).[tex]\int[/tex]d(cos3x)/cos33x = (1/3).(-1/2).(1/cos23x)
    so y2 = -1/6cos23x. :confused:

here i reached a dead end. is there anything wrong in the attempt or is it right as i think & the given d.e. is wrong ? note that i tried to solve it more then 10 times, i also tried the tan3x & its derivative but the -ve sign persists.

waiting for your help. thx in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Assuming that you mean : [tex]y^2=\frac{-1}{6cos^2(3x)}[/tex] , then your solution is correct.

When you differentiate it you get:

[tex]2ydy=(-2)(3) \left( \frac{sin^3(3x)}{6cos^3(3x)} \right)=\frac{-sin^3(3x)}{cos^3(3x)}[/tex]

which gives you back your original ODE...why were you thinking it was incorrect?

4. Nov 4, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

That is a solution to the differential equation. It is not the general solution.

What happened to the constant of integration in [itex]y^2 = -\int sin3xdx/cos33x[/itex]

5. Nov 4, 2008 #4
    nop but my doctor gave it besides others as ana assignment & i tried it many times - at first yeh i though it was wrong - so i got the same answer over & over again.
    So there's some problem with the D.E. given. I use the book: A first Course in Differential equations by Dennis Zill 8th ed.

6. Nov 4, 2008 #5
    ofcorse its a solution. there's many sol.s , but eventhough the answer y2 is -ve which is impossible.

7. Nov 4, 2008 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi bobmerhebi! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    hmm … that took a long time …

it's quicker to start by separating them into the form h(y)dy = g(x)dx …

the clue's in the word "separable" :wink:
    Yes, you're wondering how the LHS can be positive and the RHS negative …

that'll teach you not to leave out the constant of integration in future, won't it? :rolleyes:

8. Nov 4, 2008 #7
    Re: Welcome to PF!

9. Nov 4, 2008 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry, bobmerhebi, but that makes no sense at all …

a constant of integration should just be added … at the end. :smile:

10. Nov 4, 2008 #9
    so it should look like this: y2 = -1/6cos23x+ c? im not getting it! It seems to be the same but a famile of solutions which i think are still invalid. Am I missing something?

11. Nov 4, 2008 #10

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes! :biggrin:

(except personally I'd write it y2 = C - 1/6cos23x)

12. Nov 4, 2008 #11

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is wrong with taking the square root of a negative number? You just get an imaginary value of y, no big deal....

If you only want real-valued solutions, then you have to restrict your Domain.

13. Nov 4, 2008 #12
    in this case the constant should be greater or equal than 1/6cos23x. so here there should be a condition right?

thx 4 the help

14. Nov 4, 2008 #13

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your constant is a constant...how can it always be larger than [itex]\frac{1}{6cos^2(3x)}[/itex]? ??

Instead, if you want only the real-valued solutions, you have to restrict your x-values (your Domain): only values of x for which [itex]\frac{-1}{6cos^2(3x)}+C \geq 0[/itex] give real solutions for y.

Your constant [itex]C[/itex] is determined by the initial conditions of the system. For example; if you are told that y(0)=1/sqrt(6), then C will be 1/3.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  15. Nov 4, 2008 #14

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, the constant should be ≥ 0. :smile:

(and as gabbagabbahey says, x is limited)

16. Nov 4, 2008 #15
    aha ok then the independent variable should be over a restricted domain to get real valued solutions otherwise the solution is in the complex system. thank you all 4 ur help

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook