Please help me in solving this circuit

• Thread starter shaiqbashir
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the problem asks for the resistance of a circuit that has two 2 ohm resistors and an unknown resistor. The difficulty is that the circuit is not simplified using the usual parallel/series rules. The first parallel branching resistor sticks in between two series resistors of yet another parallel branch making it loop back on itself. This makes solving for the resistance difficult. However, using nodal analysis (particularly on the common node of R3, R4 and the unknown R) and Thevenin's theorem, the resistance can be found.
shaiqbashir
Hi Guys!

well! I am trapped in this simple looking problem, please help me:

i have attached the circuit below. Now please read this carefully!

YOU HAVE BEEN GIVEN THAT THE VOLTAGE ACROSS THE RIGHT MOST 2 OHM RESISTOR IS 3V, AND NOW YOU HAVE TO FIND THE RESISTANCE "R" AND THE EQUIVALENT RESISTANCE OF THIS CIRCUIT.

please help me as soon as possible, i have to submit my assignment, solved all the questions already but this question is making troubles for me.

Plz help me

Attachments

• P1.36(c).JPG
    P1.36(c).JPG
    8.1 KB · Views: 518
Physics news on Phys.org
you could try a star-triangle transformation with the group R, R3, R4 it would simplify your circuit a bit

You can also solve it directly using Kirchoff's Law. You could, for instance, assume the currents are as shown in the pic, and solve for the 3 voltage loops and use the known drop across R5.

Attachments

• kirchoff.JPG
    kirchoff.JPG
    10.3 KB · Views: 452
And one knows the voltage drop across R2, which = V1 - 3 V (voltage across R5).

Also remember V = I * R or I = V/R.

I see nothing but two ohm resistors. If so then even if the unknown is infinite you would still not get as low as three volts for the output (across the rightmost resistor). So I would question the problem.
If you want two volts across the unknown then the problem is solvable.

The key is to redraw the circuit... follow the current path from one end of the power source, creating a parallel branch every time the path splits.

You should end up with a hybrid series-parallel circuit. If it gets too confusing, try drawing from the other direction.

Once you have redrawn the circuit, simplify by replacing the parallel sections with a single-resistance equivalent and resolve...

It takes a little time, but I usually solve for everything first, then go to the questions to answer.

shaiqbashir said:
Hi Guys!

YOU HAVE BEEN GIVEN THAT THE VOLTAGE ACROSS THE RIGHT MOST 2 OHM RESISTOR IS 3V, AND NOW YOU HAVE TO FIND THE RESISTANCE "R" AND THE EQUIVALENT RESISTANCE OF THIS CIRCUIT.

please help me as soon as possible, i have to submit my assignment, solved all the questions already but this question is making troubles for me.

Plz help me

This circuit cannot be simplified using the normal parallel/series rules. The first parallel branching resistor sticks in between two series resistors of yet another parallel branch making it loop back on itself.

You must use nodal analysis (particularly on the common node of R3, R4 and the unknown R). If you don't know what this is, solving this problem will be close to impossible. Secondly, because you cannot find the equivalent resistance using the parallel/series rule, you must use something called Thevenin's theorem, and find the thevenin resistance.

shaiqbashir said:
Hi Guys!

Plz help me

So did you get the answer? Using “Mesh Analysis” I arrived with 2 equations

-6i2 - 2Ri2 + (9/2)R + 3 = 0

2Ri2 - (9/2)R + 6 + 2i2 = 0

You can easily solve R or i2 using a calculator. But I’m not sure if my equations are right because I am so0o0ooo so0o0o0 sleEeEEeEEeeEpppyyyy :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

1. How do I determine the voltage and current in this circuit?

To determine the voltage and current in a circuit, you will need to use Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). By using this equation and knowing the values of two out of the three variables, you can solve for the third variable.

2. What is the best method for solving a complex circuit?

The best method for solving a complex circuit is to break it down into smaller, simpler parts and solve each part individually. You can then combine the solutions to find the overall solution for the circuit.

3. How do I deal with non-ideal components in a circuit?

Non-ideal components, such as resistors with temperature dependencies or capacitors with leakage, can be accounted for by using their respective equations and incorporating them into the overall circuit solution. It is important to carefully consider all components in a circuit, not just the ideal ones.

4. Can I use Kirchhoff's Laws to solve any circuit?

Kirchhoff's Laws, which state that the sum of currents entering a node in a circuit is equal to the sum of currents leaving the node and the sum of voltages around a loop in a circuit is equal to zero, can be used to solve any circuit. However, in complex circuits, it may be more efficient to use other methods such as nodal analysis or mesh analysis.

5. How do I check my circuit solution for accuracy?

To check the accuracy of your circuit solution, you can use simulation software or build the circuit and measure the voltage and current values at different points. It is also helpful to double-check your calculations and ensure that all components are properly connected and accounted for.