Solving for Interference Minima in N-Slit Electric Field: A Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter shaiqbashir
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving the electric field at a point due to N slits. The formula for the electric field is given, and the person is asking for help in solving part (b) of the problem. They have already solved part (a) and are asking for assistance in finding the spacing between minima compared to the case of only two slits. They request for the conversation to be posted in the homework help forum.
shaiqbashir
Hi!

please help me in the following problem?

"The electric field at point P due to N slits is,

E (r, theta, t) = A(r) sin (N delta phi/2) cos(kr-wt)

where delta phi=kdsin (theta) , "d" being the spacing between the adjacent slits. let N=4

(a) Find two angles on either side of theta=0 at which there is an interference minima.
(b) Find the spacing between the minima compare to the case of only two slits of separation "d".

Now i have solve its (a) part but i just can't solve its (b) part.

Can u please help me in this pleasezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
please post this in the homework help part of the forum

Hi there,

Sure, I'd be happy to help you with this problem. Solving for interference minima in N-slit electric field can be a bit tricky, but with a step-by-step guide, it should become clearer. Here's how you can approach this problem:

Step 1: Understand the given equation
The given equation represents the electric field at point P due to N slits. The variables A, r, theta, t, and k have specific meanings and units. Make sure you understand what each variable represents before proceeding.

Step 2: Simplify the equation
To make it easier to work with, you can simplify the equation by dividing both the numerator and denominator by sin (delta phi/2). This will give you a simpler equation:

E (r, theta, t) = A(r) cos(kr-wt)

Step 3: Set N = 4
Since the question asks for N = 4, you can substitute this value in the simplified equation:

E (r, theta, t) = A(r) cos(2 delta phi)

Step 4: Find the angles for interference minima
To find the angles for interference minima, you need to set the electric field to zero. This means that cos(2 delta phi) = 0. We know that cos(2x) = 0 at x = pi/4, 3pi/4, 5pi/4, etc. So, in this case, 2 delta phi = pi/4, 3pi/4, 5pi/4, etc. Substituting delta phi = kdsin(theta), we get:

2kdsin(theta) = pi/4, 3pi/4, 5pi/4, etc.

Solving for theta, we get:

theta = arcsin (pi/8kd), arcsin (3pi/8kd), arcsin (5pi/8kd), etc.

Step 5: Find the spacing between the minima
To find the spacing between the minima, we need to compare it to the case of only two slits of separation "d". In the case of two slits, the minima occur at theta = arcsin (kd), 3arcsin (kd), 5arcsin (kd), etc. So, the spacing between the minima is:

arcsin (kd), 2ar

1. What is the specific problem you need help with?

The specific problem I need help with is related to a light issue. I am not able to turn on the light in my room and I have tried various troubleshooting steps but it is not working.

2. Have you checked the power source and the light bulb?

Yes, I have checked the power source and the light bulb. The power source is working fine and I have also tried replacing the light bulb, but the light is still not turning on.

3. Is there any damage to the light fixture?

I have checked the light fixture and there is no visible damage. It seems to be in good condition.

4. Have you tried resetting the circuit breaker?

Yes, I have tried resetting the circuit breaker but it did not fix the issue with the light. The circuit breaker seems to be working properly.

5. Do you have any other electrical appliances or devices that are not working?

No, all the other electrical appliances and devices in my room are working fine. It is only the light that is not turning on.