1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plz help w/ Simple harmonics question

1. Feb 5, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Plz help w/ Simple harmonics question

I am doing simple harmonics and running into problems. The formulas given for simple harmonis in my book are f=[1 / 2(pi)]square_root (k /m) or
    f=[1 / 2(pi)]square_root (a /-x). The question reads:

Car 1 has a spring-loaded rear bumper with a force constant of 840000 N/m. A second vehicle, car 2 (with a mass of 1500 kg), travels at a constant speed of 18 km/h, hitting car 1 in the rear bumper.

a) calculate the kinetic energy for car 2.

for this I used
    Ek = ½ mv^2
    Ek = ½ (1500 kg)(5 m/s)^2
    Ek = 1.9 x 10^4 J

b) calculate the distance that car 1's bumper will compress if car 2 comes to a complete stop after striking it ?

from the information given i can calculate the frequency but from there I can't figure the rest

Also I have another harmonics question. Prove that the maximum speed (V{max}) of a mass on a spring is given by 2(pi)fA.

where f = frequency and A =Amplitude? I'm guessing I have to rearrange one of formulas given at the top of the post. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your answer to question (a) is correct. For question (b) I offer a hint: consider conservation of energy.

4. Feb 5, 2008 #3
    the law of conservation states that energy cannot be created or destroyed. Would i calculate the potential energy of car 1 and add it to the kinetic energy of car 2?

5. Feb 6, 2008 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Before the collision, car two has some kinetic energy. When car two collides with car one's bumper, it will compress the spring(s). After the collision, car two comes to a complete stop, assuming that car one's speed remains constant this means that all car two's kinetic energy has been converted to ______________.

6. Feb 6, 2008 #5
    Potential energy ?

7. Feb 6, 2008 #6
    so in this question Ek = Ep? from there where do i go to find the distance travelled by the spring?

8. Feb 6, 2008 #7
    Potential energy ? so would Ek=Ep ? from there how do i find the distance that the spring travelled?

9. Feb 6, 2008 #8

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Correct :approve:
    Correct again :approve:
    What is the expression for the energy stored in a compressed spring?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  10. Feb 6, 2008 #9
    Et = 1/2mv^2 + 1/2kx^2
    I think i get it. I use the value above that I calculated for Ek, put that as Et in the formula then isolate to solve for x.

11. Feb 7, 2008 #10

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Correct :approve:

12. Feb 7, 2008 #11
    originally i thought that was what i do. however i run into a problem when i do that. If Et = Ek and Ek= 1/2mv^2. If i look at the formula i should get
    1900 J = 1900 J + 1/2kx^2.
    1900 J - 1900 J = 1/2kx^2
    0 = 1/2 kx2
    i cant have a 0 divided by 1/2k

13. Feb 8, 2008 #12

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Note that initially v = 18 km/h therefore, your total energy will be equal to the kinetic energy of car 2 (1900J). After the collision v = 0 (the car has stopped), therefore the kinetic energy term disappears and you're equation becomes,

1900 J = 1/2kx^2

Do you follow?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  14. Feb 8, 2008 #13
    well explained I understand thank you very much

15. Feb 8, 2008 #14

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A pleasure :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?