1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plzz check the answers to these difficult questions?

1. Apr 13, 2006 #1
    A book of mine has the following questions with no answers.So I am not sure if I am right or if the proceure is correct and the best.So,plz help-

1.For a given real number a>0,define[tex] A_n=(1^a + 2^a + 3^a +....+n^a)^n[/tex]
    and[tex] B_n=n^n(n!)^a[/tex] for all n=1,2,.... Then
    a. [tex]A_n<B_n[/tex]for all n>1
    b.there exists an integer n>1 such that [tex]A_n<B_n[/tex]
    c.[tex]A_n>B_n[/tex] for all n>1
    d.there exists integers n and m both larger than one such that [tex]A_n>B_n[/tex] and [tex]A_m<B_m[/tex]

As there's no specification about the value of a in the options given,I considered a special case taking a=1 and then put n=2 and n=3.I found [tex]A_n>B_n[/tex] and [tex]A_n<B_n[/tex] respectively.So I think the answer is d.
    2.Is 1 a prime number?

3.Let C denote the set of all complex numbers.Define A and B by
    A={(z,w):z,w [tex]\in [/tex]C and mod z=mod w}
    B={(z,w):z,w [tex]\in [/tex]C and [tex]z^2=w^2[/tex]}

a.A=B b.A[tex]\sqsubseteq[/tex]B and A not equal to B
    c.B[tex]\sqsubseteq[/tex]A and B not equal to A
    d.none of the above.

I think z^2=w^2 means mod z=mod w but the reverse is not true,so is the answer b?

4.If positive numbers a,b,c,d are such that 1/a,1/b,1/c,1/d are in A.P then we always have
    a.a+d[tex]\geq[/tex]b+c b.a+b[tex]\geq[/tex]c+d
    c.a+c[tex]\geq[/tex]b+d d.none of the above

1/a +1/d =1/b +1/c or,(a+d)/ad =(b+c)/bc. Now 1/ad<1/bc or,ad>bc.so,a+d[tex]\geq[/tex]b+c i.e.,(a)?

thanking you in advance.And how do you put "not equal to" and "modulus" in latex?
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2006 #2

Hi! Here are some of my thoughts with regard to your questions...

Q2) 1 is not a prime number. A prime number is defined as a number which is divisible only by itself and one. It can then be taken to mean that every prime number has 2 distinct factors. Hence, 1 is not prime.

Q3) Your reasoning that "[tex]z^2=w^2[/tex] means [tex]\mid z \mid =\ \mid w \mid [/tex] but the reverse is not true" is valid. However, doesn't this mean that all elements in B are in A but not all elements in A are in B? So, the answer is...

Q4) (a) is indeed the correct option, but I do not understand one of the steps in your working. Why do you immediately conclude that [tex]\frac{1}{ad} < \frac{1}{bc} [/tex]? Can you clarify? Thanks.
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?