What is the Maximum Power (Pmax) in a Circuit with a 220ohm Resistor (Rs)?

• Engineering
  • Thread starter rama1001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary: The voltage across the capacitor will be less than the voltage across the Zener, since the capacitor is providing a path for current to flow in the opposite direction. In summary, the question is asking for the voltage across a capacitor connected to a bridge rectifier when supplied with 24V AC. The voltage across the capacitor will be less than the voltage across the Zener, since the capacitor is providing a path for current to flow in the opposite direction.
rama1001
Hi,
Can anyone tell me how to calculate the Pmax for Rs in the attched circuit. where Rs value is 220ohm

Attachments

• Doc1.doc
    35 KB · Views: 322
Physics news on Phys.org
rama1001 said:
Hi,
Can anyone tell me how to calculate the Pmax for Rs in the attched circuit. where Rs value is 220ohm

What is the context of the question? Is it for schoolwork, or are you building something?

And what do you mean by Pmax? Do you mean the power that will be dissipated by the resistor Rs? That would depend on the value of the load clamp and resistor, no?

Hi,
i feel the same and i search throughout the web. That is my course work regarding to laborations. In that task we just calculated the series resistance and we see the stabilized output. I have to answer that question when load(R=1k /4W.) is there and without load case. i don't know how to calculate. the zener we used is BZX85/C30.

rama1001 said:
Hi,
i feel the same and i search throughout the web. That is my course work regarding to laborations. In that task we just calculated the series resistance and we see the stabilized output. I have to answer that question when load(R=1k /4W.) is there and without load case. i don't know how to calculate. the zener we used is BZX85/C30.

Please remember to post schoolwork questions in the Homework Help forums. I'll move this thread there now.

What is the voltage that your zener clamps at? What do you think the output DC voltage of your rectifier bridge will be, given that it has a 24Vrms input AC waveform? What will the voltage drop then be across Rs?

the resistor Rs must be choosen that maxium powerdessipation shoud not exceed 1.3W of the ZEner. I choosen the Rs as 220ohm and the output is 30V.

rama1001 said:
the resistor Rs must be choosen that maxium powerdessipation shoud not exceed 1.3W of the ZEner. I choosen the Rs as 220ohm and the output is 30V.

Ah, Rs is to limit the current that goes through the Zener diode. Okay, that makes sense.

And you are saying that the Zener diode is a 30V diode? How do you caluculate the voltage out of the diode bridge? Remember that it will not be purely DC... How did you arrive at the 220 Ohm value for Rs? Can you show us your detailed calculations?

total information is there in the attachment with my answer. First i made mistake in the report calculation and then again i rectified even though they are not satisfied.

could you help to dig it out.

i want remove this scrap possibly after getting the information. i don't know how to remove this entire post. Could you make a way for that.
Thanks in advance..

Attachments

• Doc1.doc
    83.5 KB · Views: 236
rama1001 said:
total information is there in the attachment with my answer. First i made mistake in the report calculation and then again i rectified even though they are not satisfied.

could you help to dig it out.

i want remove this scrap possibly after getting the information. i don't know how to remove this entire post. Could you make a way for that.
Thanks in advance..

You seem to have an incorrect value for Vs. What voltage would you expect across a capacitor fed by a bridge rectifier from 24V AC? Wouldn't you expect something closer to the peak value minus the bridge drop?

The answer I get is actually a bit low even if we assume a 30V Zener, so I wonder if there could have been a mistake in the original question?

Did it not seem strange to you that the voltage across Rs appeared to be NEGATIVE? That cannot work. You must have Vs greater than Vz.

Of course, Vs will not be at its maximum value at all times, but it should not have dropped to anything near 24V unless C was very small, say 47uF. (IT =CV, assuming 8V drop in 10ms at 30mA gives 37.5uF.)

1. What is Pmax in the given circuit?

Pmax in the given circuit refers to the maximum power that can be delivered to the circuit by its power source. It is usually measured in watts (W) and is dependent on the components and configuration of the circuit.

2. How is Pmax calculated in a circuit?

Pmax can be calculated by multiplying the maximum voltage and maximum current in the circuit. This is known as the power formula, P = VI. It can also be calculated by squaring the maximum voltage and dividing it by the resistance in the circuit, P = V2/R.

3. What factors affect Pmax in a circuit?

The main factors that affect Pmax in a circuit are the voltage and current supplied by the power source, the resistance of the circuit, and the efficiency of the components used. Changes in any of these factors can impact the maximum power that can be delivered to the circuit.

4. How does Pmax impact the performance of a circuit?

Pmax is an important factor in determining the performance of a circuit. If a circuit is operating below its Pmax, it may not be able to deliver the desired output. On the other hand, if a circuit is operating at or above its Pmax, it may overheat or even fail due to excessive power.

5. Can Pmax be increased in a circuit?

Yes, Pmax can be increased in a circuit by adjusting the components and configuration of the circuit. This can be done by using components with higher power ratings, reducing the resistance in the circuit, or increasing the voltage and current supplied by the power source. However, it is important to ensure that the circuit can handle the increased power without causing damage.