Is Self Winding the Solution for Keeping Clocks Wound?

In summary: I don't know how to do that. Please stop trolling or your thread will be closed. Have you tried uploading a PDF copy of your drawings...or even a photo?I don't know how to do that.
Engineering news on Phys.org
jameskennymatheson said:
i am being told trying to make a self winding clock means ppm when this is a self winding clock

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self_Winding_Clock_Company

and this is a self winding watch

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_watch

i hope someone speaks on my behalf to be allowed to discuss keeping a clock winding

its just to keep clocks wound

it is not ppm as the other pieces show

thank you
(the term is PMM, not ppm)
PF Forbidden Topics said:
Pseudoscience, such as (but not limited to):
Perpetual motion and "free energy" discussions (see our Insights Article here)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_motion
http://www.skepdic.com/freeenergy.html
http://www.skepdic.com/perpetual.html
What is the source of the energy to wind the watch? And why did you mention magnets in your initial post?

Last edited:
i dont see how magnets play a role
i am only doing this to keep clocks wound
thats my only intention

Well, your first try at starting this thread mentioned a spring that wound itself by using magnets, which is why it was deleted. If you are just asking for help making a self-winding watch that is powered by body movement, etc., that should be okay.

Do you have a design in mind that you want to try to build? BTW, is this for a schoolwork assignment?

Likes russ_watters
this project is to prove it works, no schooling , there are no clock schools, hopefully because of this they male a clock school
It's really simple
If anyone's intestinal

• Haha
Likes berkeman
Here's the file

jameskennymatheson said:
If anyone's intestinal
LOL, I hope that's an autocorrect typo... :smile:

jameskennymatheson said:
Here's the file
Attachment did not work. Try converting it to PDF and use "Attach files" to upload it.

What is the energy source for this self-winding watch?

berkeman said:
LOL, I hope that's an autocorrect typo... :smile:Attachment did not work. Try converting it to PDF and use "Attach files" to upload it.

What is the energy source for this self-winding watch?
it winds itself when you tilt your arm , i am hoping someone can find me a mechanical engineer to test the 2 spring system i am suggesting, sadly there are no clock makers left in most parts of the world

when you smile im happy

jameskennymatheson said:
it winds itself when you tilt your arm , i am hoping someone can find me a mechanical engineer to test the 2 spring system i am suggesting, sadly there are no clock makers left in most parts of the world
What construction resources do you have available? Do you have access to woodworking tools? Any machine shop tools? Do you know anybody who has a 3-D printer?

nobody will help me where i live and they stole my only working model
and all the 3d designers sell me garbage for very high prices and then demand more money for more things that dont work, been that way forever and its only getting worse

jameskennymatheson said:
there are no clock schools,
That's not true. There are many.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Clockmakers+training&atb=v352-1&ia=places

My father did some of that. He visited a clockmaker in Sweden who took the training. That man said for the final exam, he had to take a block of solid brass and make a working clock from that.

Then get your dad to build this
That's great
There are no clock schools in Canada

jameskennymatheson said:
Then get your dad to build this
That's great
There are no clock schools in Canada
You should do simple Internet Searches before saying things like that.

5 seconds found me these:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Clockmakers+training+canada&atb=v352-1&ia=web

35 of the Finest Clock and Watch Schools Around the World​

Ecole National D'Horlogerie, Trois-Rivieres, Quebec​

Located in Quebec, Canada, the National School of watchmaking trains individuals for a duration of 1800 hours over 1 ½ years to obtain a vocational diploma.

Likes berkeman
honestly if you dont want to help me then dont reply
i know these schools and they dont teach clock making
i also know the clock schools in america
and they teach clock repair
if you dont want to help them please dont

i have gone to all the clocks school and i know them all
down to nawcc in america and trois rivere i know my country
if you dont want to help them dont reply

Please stop trolling or your thread will be closed. Have you tried uploading a PDF copy of your drawings yet?

Last edited:
Likes Bystander, russ_watters and hutchphd
A clock is a stationary watch, so it can't be self-winding. Do you mean a watch? Is there a reason you can't use an actual watch movement? What exactly is your goal here? You say you want to prove they work - but we already know they do. So, what's there to prove?

The quality of the responses depends on the quality of your posts.

please remove my post
thank you

Thread is closed. Thanks for trying to help the OP, folks.

Likes Averagesupernova

1. What is a PMM clock?

A PMM clock, also known as a perpetual motion machine clock, is a type of clock that is powered by its own movements rather than an external power source. It uses a pendulum or other mechanism to keep itself running indefinitely without the need for winding or batteries.

2. How does a PMM clock work?

A PMM clock works by utilizing the principle of conservation of energy. The clock's mechanism is designed to convert the kinetic energy of its moving parts into potential energy, which is then used to keep the clock running. This process repeats itself continuously, allowing the clock to run without any external power source.

3. What are the advantages of a PMM clock?

One of the main advantages of a PMM clock is that it does not require any external power source, making it a more sustainable and environmentally-friendly option. It also eliminates the need for winding or battery replacements, making it a low-maintenance timepiece.

4. Are PMM clocks accurate?

While PMM clocks may seem like they have the potential to be extremely accurate, in reality, they are not. Due to the complexity of their mechanisms and the constant conversion of energy, PMM clocks tend to lose or gain time over extended periods. They are not recommended for use as precise timekeepers.

5. Can a PMM clock run forever?

In theory, a PMM clock can run forever as long as it is well-maintained and its parts do not wear out. However, in reality, the constant movement and friction will eventually cause the clock to stop working. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and humidity can also affect its performance.