How Can I Even Out My PMMA Structures Through Heating or Annealing?

• Thread starter Zamot40
  • Start date
In summary, the author is considering annealing the samples to make them softer, etching the surface, or using reactive ions etching.
Zamot40
I made some structures in PMMA and now I would like to even them out a little bit. The structures are made with thermal imprint and are 150 nm deep and with a period of 300 nm, which is the smallest stamp we have at the university, I could of course make a new stamp, but that would take a lot of time.

Right now I am considering annealing of the samples to make them soft and give it a long time in the oven and the PMMA will float a bit. eg. 150 degree Celcius for 2 hours.

I have also considered heating the oven to 1200 degree celsius and give it a short time, eg. 5 minutes.

If anyone has some experience or knowledge of this I would be happy

I'd love to help you, but I have absolutely no idea of what the hell you're talking about. :s

okay maybe I don't not make myself clear enough. I made a drawing of what has been done to the PMMA and what I want to do with it. Maybe it looks a

bit odd due to the imgur upload. We have some PMMA with structure in it and then I want these structures to shrink and I thought heating them in the oven would soften the structures out. I did some testing in the lab with PMMA in the oven at 500 degree celsius for 5 seconds to 1 minute. The ones at 1 minute are totally destroyed, but 15 seconds seemed to not make any damage to the PMMA, however the somewhat larger scratches were not softened either.
I also tried 1½ hour in the oven at 160 degree, but this just reshaped the PMMA totally.
Now I am thinking the long duration low temperature is the best way to go, but It would take a long time to find the optimal parameters so I would really like some help here.
APZL4oW.png

I'm sorry, but I didn't make my previous post clear enough. I didn't mean that you posted a bad question; it's just that I know nothing about the subject. Someone else will have to help you. I just responded so you wouldn't feel ignored.

Are the sharp points necessary? You could polish or etch the surface and the grooves would be shallower.

BoB

No the sharp points are not necessary. You make a good point, but polishing only ~75 nm is practicly impossible with the tools we have at the university. Some form of well controlled chemical etch might do the job. Reactive ions etching could work if I could coat the grooves with a thin layer of some protecting material I suppose.

1. What is PMMA heating/annealing?

PMMA heating/annealing is a process in which the polymer material PMMA (polymethyl methacrylate) is heated to a specific temperature and then cooled in a controlled manner. This process is used to alter the physical properties of PMMA, such as its strength, durability, and optical clarity.

2. Why is PMMA heating/annealing necessary?

PMMA heating/annealing is necessary because it allows for the manipulation of the material's properties to meet specific requirements. For example, the process can increase the strength and durability of PMMA, making it suitable for use in various applications such as automotive parts, medical devices, and household items.

3. What is the temperature range used for PMMA heating/annealing?

The temperature range used for PMMA heating/annealing typically varies between 70°C to 120°C. The specific temperature depends on the desired outcome and the thickness of the PMMA material. It is essential to carefully control the temperature to prevent any damage or deformation of the material.

4. How long does the PMMA heating/annealing process take?

The duration of the PMMA heating/annealing process can vary depending on several factors, such as the thickness of the material, the desired outcome, and the heating equipment used. Generally, the process can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours.

5. What are the benefits of PMMA heating/annealing?

PMMA heating/annealing offers several benefits, including improved strength, durability, and optical clarity. It can also reduce the risk of cracking and increase the material's resistance to chemicals and UV rays. Additionally, the process can help reduce internal stresses in the material, resulting in better overall performance and longevity.