Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PMMA heating/annealing

Tags:
  1. Nov 20, 2014 #1
    I made some structures in PMMA and now I would like to even them out a little bit. The structures are made with thermal imprint and are 150 nm deep and with a period of 300 nm, which is the smallest stamp we have at the university, I could of course make a new stamp, but that would take a lot of time.

Right now I am considering annealing of the samples to make them soft and give it a long time in the oven and the PMMA will float a bit. eg. 150 degree Celcius for 2 hours.

I have also considered heating the oven to 1200 degree celsius and give it a short time, eg. 5 minutes.

If anyone has some experience or knowledge of this I would be happy

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2014 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Nov 25, 2014 #3

Danger

Gold Member

I'd love to help you, but I have absolutely no idea of what the hell you're talking about. :s

5. Nov 26, 2014 #4
    okay maybe I don't not make myself clear enough. I made a drawing of what has been done to the PMMA and what I want to do with it. Maybe it looks a

bit odd due to the imgur upload. We have some PMMA with structure in it and then I want these structures to shrink and I thought heating them in the oven would soften the structures out. I did some testing in the lab with PMMA in the oven at 500 degree celsius for 5 seconds to 1 minute. The ones at 1 minute are totally destroyed, but 15 seconds seemed to not make any damage to the PMMA, however the somewhat larger scratches were not softened either.
    I also tried 1½ hour in the oven at 160 degree, but this just reshaped the PMMA totally.
    Now I am thinking the long duration low temperature is the best way to go, but It would take a long time to find the optimal parameters so I would really like some help here.

APZL4oW.png

6. Nov 26, 2014 #5

Danger

Gold Member

I'm sorry, but I didn't make my previous post clear enough. I didn't mean that you posted a bad question; it's just that I know nothing about the subject. Someone else will have to help you. I just responded so you wouldn't feel ignored.

7. Nov 30, 2014 #6

rbelli1

Gold Member

Are the sharp points necessary? You could polish or etch the surface and the grooves would be shallower.

BoB

8. Dec 2, 2014 #7
    No the sharp points are not necessary. You make a good point, but polishing only ~75 nm is practicly impossible with the tools we have at the university. Some form of well controlled chemical etch might do the job. Reactive ions etching could work if I could coat the grooves with a thin layer of some protecting material I suppose.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook