1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PMP certification

1. Nov 5, 2013 #1
    People are required to acquire at least 35 PDU before taking the test. The course includes management of (time, budget, quality, human resources, communication, risks etc). But all are theories. I am thinking to take one but I may not take the test because it costs too much (> USD 500). Do you think I should follow the course or is it enough if I only read some books about it ? Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2013 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

The PMP Certification is binary. Either you have it or you don't. "Read some books about it" won't cut any ice with employers who are looking for a PMP-certified PM. On the other hand, if your primary job is not as a PM then you might get some benefit from casual study.

I disagree w/ your statement "But al are theories". Many of the practices taught in PMP are NOT theoreis they are empirically valid rules. A really good one is this: Quality, budget, schedule. Pick 2. You can't have all three. The Obambacare webside folks were forced by political consideration to pretend that they could have all three so ended up with a train wreck.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook