Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PMs gone

1. Oct 6, 2011 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

What just happened to my PMs? In a split second it went from hundreds to zero.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2011 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

4. Oct 6, 2011 #3
    This wasn't handled very intelligently. I just lost all of mine, and only found out about the scheduled "global wipe", when I looked in this meta-forum for the first time, looking for someone to contact.

5. Oct 6, 2011 #4

Evo

This Forum should be checked regularly for "Announcements". That's the purpose of this forum.

6. Oct 6, 2011 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I hit the 'New Posts' button no less than several times a day every single day without fail. I doubt there are ten people on this board - including the Mods - that check as often as I do. I never saw that post.

Not bitching, just wondering how it could have fallen through the cracks. Makes me wonder if I've been doing something wrong all these years.

7. Oct 6, 2011 #6

Evo

Could have been just really bad timing. I saw it all the time, you might have looked each time that it got displaced with another post.

Maybe people you exchanged pm's with made copies?

8. Oct 6, 2011 #7
    Deletion is forever, it's the direst thing a system administrator can do to your data. Wouldn't a more prominent form of announcement be warranted, like a flaming fireball in the middle of the front page, or a message sent to the registration emails of all users?

9. Oct 6, 2011 #8
    Indeed, I apologize for your inconvenience

10. Oct 7, 2011 #9

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Displaced with another post? New posts returns every post that's had an update since my last visit - I get hundreds of results back. I go through the 'New Posts' front to back almost daily since as long as I can remember.

It's no biggie data-wise for me. I just wonder how it is even possible I could have missed the post. It makes me suspicious that somehow 'New Posts' is not as unilateral as I thought. (And that it will happen again with any other Announcement)

11. Oct 7, 2011 #10
    Same thing here - I did not suspect that important news would remain hidden in a forum thread near the bottom. :uhh:

Hehe mitchell's "flaming fireball in the middle of the front page" would have been effective for me! :rofl:

12. Oct 7, 2011 #11

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

DaveC, do you remeber what you wrote in a PM to me on Dec. 16th, 2008 ? I vaguely remember it was about the men behind JFK's murder...

13. Oct 7, 2011 #12

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Just for the record, I wish to separate myself from those who are critical of how it was done. I'm not complaining. :wink:

I am simply concerned with how I can do something different next time.

14. Oct 7, 2011 #13

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I can't imagine having anything to say about JFK's murder, being neither American, nor politically-inclined (nor - not to put too fine a point on it - alive in 1963). Though I'm always up for a good debate on any subject whether or not I know much about it.:tongue2:

15. Oct 7, 2011 #14

FlexGunship

Gold Member

16. Oct 7, 2011 #15

FlexGunship

Gold Member

17. Oct 7, 2011 #16

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Flex, obviously you think posting announcements in a section titled...um...announcements, is not the right place. Where do you think a better place would be?

18. Oct 7, 2011 #17

Evo

I don't believe he was being critical. I think he was trying to inject a bit of humor.

but then with Flex, we never really know, do we? :uhh:

19. Oct 7, 2011 #18

rhody

Gold Member

One problem that has not been mentioned and could not be avoided, is for those users who logon infrequently. Say, every few month or two. These are the type of people who probably don't check their registered with e-mail accounts either, so if Greg were to send those users a heads up to the personal e-mails, it would have fallen on deaf ears as well.

Thanks, Dave, for starting this thread, it gives everyone a chance to vent...

Rhody...

20. Oct 7, 2011 #19
    The illustration of the Hitchhiker's guide is better than that: The announcements section here is hidden at the bottom of my browser page, a far scroll away from the part that I usually see. Thus, in the cellar so to say. Only the stairs (the scrolling option to get there) were still available.

It wasn't much "illuminated" either: even if I had looked once for a second at that part and (by chance) seen "PMs/VMs scheduled for global wipe", it might have not reached my consciousness that perhaps it wasn't an unimportant feedback but an important announcement, and that all personal messages would be suddenly destroyed. Indeed it would have taken me possibly more than that interval of time to guess that PM doesn't mean Person Month or Prime Minister or ... or ... but Personal Messages. :rolleyes:

21. Oct 7, 2011 #20
    That's a good point, I should have been more clear.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook