Forward Bias in PN Diode: Explained

In summary, when a pn diode is in complete forward bias, it operates on an exponential curve and practical forward bias voltages are limited to around 1.5 V. This behavior is not a normal or squared resistance. Reverse biased voltages can be larger and have breakdown mechanisms, but this does not occur in forward bias.
semi
Probably a really stupid question but for a pn diode in complete forward bias i.e 6volts (switch on 0.7volts), does it behave like a normal resistor or is it a squared resistance till say 200 volts and is there a forward voltage breakdown mechanism. I can only find I V curves that got to about 1.5 volts.

Engineering news on Phys.org
semi said:
Probably a really stupid question but for a pn diode in complete forward bias i.e 6volts (switch on 0.7volts), does it behave like a normal resistor or is it a squared resistance till say 200 volts and is there a forward voltage breakdown mechanism. I can only find I V curves that got to about 1.5 volts.

Forward biased diodes operate (ideally) on an exponential curve. Forward bias voltages of 6V or 200 V are not practical. The current that correspondes to these cases is too large and no practical device can operate in this way. As you have noted 1.5 V might be a practical limit (give or take).

Also, it follows from the exponential behavior that the behavior is not a "normal resistance" nor is it a "squared resistance".

Perhaps you are confusing forward bias and reverse bias. Reverse biased voltages can be larger, and there are breakdown mechanisms (Zener and avalanch effects for example).

See the following link for more details.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode

Thanks, I wasnt confusing reverese bias, I just didnt know if that exponential resistance flattened out. Thanks for clearing it up.

1. What is forward bias in a PN diode?

Forward bias in a PN diode refers to the application of a positive voltage to the P-type material and a negative voltage to the N-type material, thus creating a flow of current through the diode. This allows for the diode to conduct electricity and perform its intended function.

2. How does forward bias affect the behavior of a PN diode?

When a PN diode is forward biased, the depletion region (the area between the P and N layers) becomes thinner, allowing for an increased flow of current. This results in a decrease in resistance and allows for the diode to conduct electricity more efficiently.

3. What is the threshold voltage for forward bias in a PN diode?

The threshold voltage for forward bias in a PN diode is typically around 0.6 to 0.7 volts for silicon diodes and 0.2 to 0.3 volts for germanium diodes. This is the minimum voltage required for the diode to start conducting electricity.

4. What are some common applications of forward bias in PN diodes?

Forward bias is commonly used in diodes for rectification, where alternating current is converted to direct current. It is also used in diode-based voltage regulators and in various electronic circuits for signal processing.

5. What happens if a PN diode is forward biased with too high of a voltage?

If a PN diode is forward biased with too high of a voltage, it can lead to excessive current flow and potentially damage the diode. This is known as "overforward biasing" and can cause the diode to overheat and fail. It is important to use the appropriate voltage for a diode's forward bias to prevent damage.