Why Does the Depletion Layer Affect Acceptor Atom Concentration in PN Junctions?

In summary, the P and N regions are separated by a PN junction. At 300K as the acceptor atoms on the P side and donor atoms on the N side are ionised, there is a very high concentration of holes on the P side and electrons on the N side. Diffusion occurs. Holes go to N side. Electrons go to P side. As the holes go to the N side they leave behind negatively charged acceptor atoms. And the electrons from the N side leave behind positvely charged donor atoms. So at this point there is a large concentration of negatively charged acceptor atoms near the junction and a large conc. of positvely charged donor atoms near the junction. This area is known as the depletion
CoolDude420

Homework Statement

I'm doing a course in solid state electronics and we just started PN junctions etc. I'm a bit confused.
So here is what I know so far:

Initially the P and N regions are separated by a a PN junction. At 300K as the acceptor atoms on the P side and donor atoms on the N side are ionised, there is a very high concentration of holes on the P side and electrons on the N side.
Diffusion occurs. Holes go to N side. Electrons go to P side. As the holes go to the N side they leave behind negatively charged acceptor atoms. And the electrons from the N side leave behind positvely charged donor atoms. So at this point there is a large concentration of negatively charged acceptor atoms near the junction and a large conc. of positvely charged donor atoms near the junction. This area is known as the depletion layer.

Now here is my question relating to this diagram:

1706855efd.jpg

In my notes it says that concentration of acceptor atoms in the neutral region of the P side(i.e excl the depletion layer) is Na. However that's clearly a contradiction because some of those Na acceptor atoms are now in the depletion layer. So shouldn't Na be the total number of acceptor atoms in the entire P region including the part of the depletion layer which is in the P side. Same for N side.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The donor and acceptor atoms don't move. They are fixed in the lattice. Only the mobile charges, the holes and electrons, can move. Also note that the Na and Nd quantities are charge densities - i.e, so many atoms per cubic centimeter. So there are Na acceptor atoms per cubic centimeter everywhere on the P side, but in the neutral region they are neutralized by Na holes per cubic centimeter, so that region is charge neutral. In the depletion region, the acceptor charge is "uncovered" because the holes have moved out, so all that remains is the fixed lattice charge of Na acceptor atoms per cubic centimeter. Does this help?

Likes CoolDude420
phyzguy said:
The donor and acceptor atoms don't move. They are fixed in the lattice. Only the mobile charges, the holes and electrons, can move. Also note that the Na and Nd quantities are charge densities - i.e, so many atoms per cubic centimeter. So there are Na acceptor atoms per cubic centimeter everywhere on the P side, but in the neutral region they are neutralized by Na holes per cubic centimeter, so that region is charge neutral. In the depletion region, the acceptor charge is "uncovered" because the holes have moved out, so all that remains is the fixed lattice charge of Na acceptor atoms per cubic centimeter. Does this help?

Amazing. Thank you for the brilliant explanation!

Glad I could help.

1. What is a PN junction depletion layer?

A PN junction depletion layer is a region that forms at the boundary between a P-type semiconductor and an N-type semiconductor. It is a region of reduced charge carriers, which creates a barrier to the flow of current.

2. How does the PN junction depletion layer form?

The depletion layer forms when a P-type semiconductor and an N-type semiconductor are brought into contact. The free electrons from the N-type semiconductor fill the holes in the P-type semiconductor, creating a region with no free charge carriers.

3. What is the significance of the PN junction depletion layer in electronic devices?

The PN junction depletion layer is an essential component of many electronic devices, such as diodes and transistors. It acts as a barrier to the flow of current, allowing these devices to control the direction and amount of current flowing through them.

4. How does the width of the depletion layer affect the behavior of a PN junction?

The width of the depletion layer is directly related to the voltage applied to the PN junction. As the voltage increases, the depletion layer becomes wider, and the barrier to current flow increases. This relationship is crucial in understanding the behavior of diodes and other semiconductor devices.

5. Can the PN junction depletion layer be modified or controlled?

Yes, the width of the depletion layer can be modified by changing the doping levels of the P and N regions, as well as by applying an external voltage. This allows for the precise control of current flow in electronic devices and is a key concept in semiconductor technology.