Pn - junction diode experiment - varying heat

In summary, the conversation discusses designing an experiment to show the variation of voltage with a diode in forward bias and the variation of current with heat while keeping voltage constant. The user is unsure how to design the second part of the experiment and also needs help predicting the resulting graph. They are using the equation I = Io exp(eV/2kt) and have already conducted part a) of the experiment. They also mention their first post on the forum and apologize for any mistakes.
shreyazaveri

Homework Statement

This isn't exactly a problem, but I need help with an experiment. I've got to design an experiment to show a) the variation of voltage with a diode when the diode is in forward bias
b) The variation of current (i think) with heat, keeping voltage constant.
The thing is I'm not sure how to design the part 'B' experiment, and I also have to predict the graph that will be generated from the output.

Homework Equations

I'm pretty sure I've got to use I = Io exp (eV/2kt) where
I = Current,
Io = Max current at absolute zero,
e= charge on an electron
V= voltage
k = Boltzmann's Constant
t = Temperature in Kelvin.

The Attempt at a Solution

For a)
I set up the circuit with a 1.5 V D.C supply connected in series with a rheostat, milliammeter and the diode in forward bias and a voltmeter in parallel with the diode. I varied current and measured the corresponding voltage (making sure to keep the current low, <50 milliamps)
I had to ln the equation to make the ln I - V graph linear (for experiment a)

ln I = Ln Io + (eV/2kT)
with Ln I on the Y axis and V on the X.
This made a linear graph and allowed me to calculate the value of e from the gradient, compare it to the standard and derive the percentage error of my experiment a.

I need to do something similar with b)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Also, this is my first post so I'm really sorry for any faux-pas.

Physics news on Phys.org

It sounds like you are conducting an experiment to investigate the behavior of a diode in both forward bias and with varying heat. For part b), you will need to design a setup that can control the temperature of the diode while keeping the voltage constant. One approach could be to use a heating element, such as a heating pad or a hot plate, to heat the diode while using a voltage regulator to maintain a constant voltage. You can then measure the current at different temperatures and plot it against the temperature to see how it varies.

As for predicting the graph, it will depend on the specific diode you are using and its characteristics. However, you can expect to see an increase in current with increasing temperature, as the heat will cause more carriers to be available for conduction. The exact shape of the graph will depend on the specific diode and the temperature range you are investigating.

I hope this helps and good luck with your experiment! Let us know if you have any further questions.

1. What is a Pn-junction diode experiment?

A Pn-junction diode experiment is an experiment that involves studying the behavior of a semiconductor diode, which is a type of electronic component that allows current to flow in only one direction. The Pn-junction diode is made up of two layers of semiconductor material, one with an excess of electrons (n-type) and the other with a deficiency of electrons (p-type), creating a junction between the layers.

2. How is heat varied in the Pn-junction diode experiment?

Heat is varied in the Pn-junction diode experiment by using a heat source, such as a hot plate or a heat gun, to increase the temperature of the diode. The temperature can be measured and controlled using a thermometer or a temperature controller.

3. What is the purpose of varying heat in the Pn-junction diode experiment?

The purpose of varying heat in the Pn-junction diode experiment is to observe the effect of temperature on the behavior of the diode. This can provide valuable information about the diode's characteristics and performance, and can also be used to study the relationship between temperature and the flow of current through the diode.

4. What are some potential outcomes of the Pn-junction diode experiment?

Some potential outcomes of the Pn-junction diode experiment include changes in the diode's forward voltage, reverse leakage current, and breakdown voltage as the temperature is varied. The experiment can also provide insights into the diode's thermal stability and temperature coefficient, which are important factors in its practical applications.

5. How is the data collected and analyzed in the Pn-junction diode experiment?

The data in the Pn-junction diode experiment is typically collected using a multimeter, which measures the voltage and current flowing through the diode. The data can then be plotted on a graph and analyzed to observe any trends or patterns. Statistical analysis may also be used to determine the significance of the results and to draw conclusions about the behavior of the diode under varying heat conditions.