1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PN junction

1. Apr 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Ideality factor and reverse saturation current

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_h90yJnbZXIE/SfMcs8FCF8I/AAAAAAAAAFk/dJ7cnqLGntk/s1600-h/circuit_fordiodeparameterextraction.JPG
    Use the circuit above to determine the I-V characteristic over 3 decades of current from 0.01 mA to 10 mA. Record the current and voltage values using the two DMMs and plot the I versus V date on a semilog graph paper.

Explain how you can determine the slope of the ln I versus V relationship from the semilog plot. From this graph, determine the ideality factor n and reverse saturation current I0.

I0 = 0.3nA (y-intercept of the graph from the semilog plot)
    Gradient of ln I against V graph: q/nKT=ln⁡〖(9×〖10〗^3 )-ln⁡50 〗/(0.4-0.2)=25.96=26.0
    Ideality factor, n=q/(26.0)KT=1/(26.0×0.0252)=1.53

2. Relevant equations

This is where I stuck:

Suggest an extension to this experiment by which the coefficient A of a diode in equation 6 can be determined

I0 =AT^3 e^((-Eg)/kT) (6)

PLease help!!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?