1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pn->x pn^2 -> x^2

1. Oct 25, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If the limit of the sequence Pn goes to x, prove that the limit of Pn^2 goes to x^2

2. Relevant equations

can't use epsilon and delta

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought simply showing that arbitrary intervals work is enough. but my teacher says that my solution doesn't make sense. any help as to my misconception would make sense.

Let O be any open interval defined as (√a,√b) such that x is in the interval and x is the limit point of Pn. then √a < x < √b. then a < x^2 < b. Then for any open interval O1, x^2 is contained. Thus lim Pn^2 is X^2

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why don't you try looking at ##|p_n^2-x^2|## and use what you know about ##|p_n-x|##?

4. Oct 25, 2013 #3
    hmmmm....

Can I say that:

let Pn = Sn, where the limit of Pn = x, then lim Sn = x. Then lim (Pn*Sn) = x^2. Then lim Pn^2 = x^2.

This makes sense to me, but feels like i am cheating.

5. Oct 25, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is Sn?? You are cheating. LCKurtz is just suggesting you use ##p_n^2-x^2=(p_n-x)(p_n+x)##.

6. Oct 25, 2013 #5
    I was trying to define another sequence. I apologize for my poor form. This stuff has me totally overwhelmed.

I thought if i defined two equivalent sequences then they would have the same limit. Then i could use like the multiplication of limits to show that it is x^2

7. Oct 25, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's ok. I actually stand corrected. If you have the theorem that ##lim(P_n)=c## and ##lim(S_n)=d## then ##lim(P_nS_n)=cd## then that works fine. It would only be cheating if you don't have that theorem yet. Sorry.

8. Oct 26, 2013 #7
    oh. I didn't know we had to prove this. It just seemed logical. I guess i will just have to go back to the drawing board. I see where you were going for in the previous post given that it factors and i can show they both have |Pn-x| but i don't know what to do with the other part since there is an addition.

9. Oct 26, 2013 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, it is logical but you do have to prove it before you can take that route. But in the meantime |Pn-x| converges to zero. What does |Pn+x| converge to?

10. Oct 26, 2013 #9
    Here is my shameful ignorance again. I thought that |Pn-L| meant that Pn converges to L, so |Pn-x| converges to x and |Pn+x| converges to -x. I don't see how you get zero. but that would make |Pn-x||Pn+x| converging to
    -x*x which is -x^2 ... so i know i am messing up somewhere.

thank you for your patience btw.

11. Oct 26, 2013 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I've got all the patience in the in the world, to a certain degree. Pn converging to x means for very large n, Pn is almost equal to x. Wouldn't that mean |Pn-x| is almost zero?

12. Oct 26, 2013 #11
    Yes. I see that now. So |Pn-x| = 0 then |Pn+x| = 2x? but since (Pn-x)(Pn+x) wouldn't that also go to zero? since i would essentially be having zero times 2x for very large Pn.

13. Oct 26, 2013 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

|Pn-x| isn't equal to zero, but it approaches zero. And yes, |Pn+x| approaches |2x| which is a finite number. So |Pn^2-x^2| must also approach 0. So lim(Pn^2) must be what?

14. Oct 26, 2013 #13
    So...
    since lim Pn goes to x as n goes to infinity,
    then
    |pn-x| goes to zero as n goes to infinity,
    then
    (Pn-x)(Pn+x) goes to (0)(2x) goes to 0 as n goes to infinity
    then
    (Pn^2 - x^2)= (Pn-x)(Pn+x) goes to 0 as n goes to infinity
    then |Pn^2-X^2| goes to 0 as n goes to infinity
    therefore the limit of Pn^2 = x^2

did i finally get it?

15. Oct 26, 2013 #14

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure you did. And I think that's probably exactly what they wanted you to do.

16. Oct 26, 2013 #15
    now once i prove this in class, does that "open the door" for the use of the multiplication trick? or is that a separate rule?

17. Oct 26, 2013 #16

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Now that is a REALLY intelligent question! I think you are getting this whole limit thing. I was just asking myself the same thing. This is a special case of the multiplication trick. It's easier to prove and maybe a little more obvious but it still needs to be proved. So it's not a separate rule. But I'd wait for it to be proved in class before you "open the door", for pedagogical reasons. Then your proof in post 3 is perfectly valid.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted