Designing a Pneumatic Arm to Lift 5kg Load 10m

In summary, the arm needs to be able to push a 5kg load straight up into the air with an initial velocity of 14ms-1. It will require a force of 490N to do so.
MadaraUchiha
Hey
I want to build a pneumatic arm that can throw stuff around (see attachment image).
Before actually ordering the stuff i want help with some calculations.
i want the arm to be able to push 5kg load (rectangular shaped) straight up into air.
the arm/plunger area that makes contact with load = 0.0050m^2
i want this arm to throw the load to atleast 10 metres off the ground.
How much force/pressure would that require ?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 391
Physics news on Phys.org
A five kilogram load will be pulled by the Earth by 5*9.8=49N of force. So this much is minimum. To throw it 10m high, you need to calculate the acceleration, which requires information on how long the plunger will be in conact with the mass, or, upto what distance. That will be equal to the length of the stroke of the piston which you should decide.

Likes 1 person
PhysicoRaj said:
A five kilogram load will be pulled by the Earth by 5*9.8=49N of force. So this much is minimum. To throw it 10m high, you need to calculate the acceleration, which requires information on how long the plunger will be in conact with the mass, or, upto what distance. That will be equal to the length of the stroke of the piston which you should decide.

Ill decide that later according to portability and availability of cylinders but let's say the stroke is 300mm.
Then how do we go on about calculating it ?

Let me take the stroke to be x.
Now we will calculate the velocity with which it has to be ejected so that it ends up 10m high.
v2=u2-2gh
v is the velocity at 10m so it is = 0
u is what we have to find out.
h=10m
solving for u we get:
u=√2gh
u=√2*9.8*10
u=14ms-1

Now to calculate the acceleration required to produce that initial velocity:
u2=2ax
u is 14
a is what we will find
x is your piston stroke.

Solve for a:
a=u2/2x
a=196/(2*x)
a=98/x

Now the force that causes this acceleration is:
F=ma
F=5*98/x
F=490/x N

Either choose a convinient x value or F value.

Edit: 300mm implies force=1633N.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Got it !
thanks again.

Last edited:

1. How does a pneumatic arm work?

A pneumatic arm works by using compressed air to create movement. The compressed air is stored in a chamber and released through a valve when needed, which then pushes a piston to create motion.

2. What materials are needed to build a pneumatic arm?

To build a pneumatic arm, you will need a cylinder, a piston, valves, tubing, a compressor, and fittings. You may also need additional materials such as brackets and clamps to secure the arm.

3. How much weight can a pneumatic arm lift?

The amount of weight a pneumatic arm can lift depends on the size and strength of the arm, as well as the amount of air pressure used. Generally, a pneumatic arm can lift up to 5kg to 10kg with ease.

4. How can I calculate the air pressure needed to lift a 5kg load 10m?

To calculate the air pressure needed, you will need to use the formula: Pressure (P) = Force (F) / Area (A). In this case, the force would be 5kg (or 49N) and the area would be the diameter of the cylinder. You can then adjust the pressure by adjusting the size of the cylinder or the weight of the load.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a pneumatic arm?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to consider when using a pneumatic arm. Make sure to properly secure the arm and keep it away from any electrical equipment. It is also important to regularly check for any leaks or damage to the arm and its components. Always follow the manufacturer's instructions and use the appropriate air pressure for your specific arm design.