Pneumatic Jet-Pack Calculations

In summary: There is no one definitive answer to this question as it will vary depending on the particular water bottle rocket design and implementation. However, one way to calculate the rate of water usage is to divide the amount of water being used by the amount of time it is being used for.
bwheeler96
I would think someone would have thought about this already, I'm not taking physics so forgive my assumptions about water flow, thrust etc. but, If I were to say... take a 12" I.D. 24" section of PVC Pipe filled about 85% of the way, 6^2*3.14*24/231*.85 = so about 10 gallons, 80 pounds of water for our purposes. The remainder being air pressurized to about 200psi, the water then going through an opening of about 3in^2, for every square inch i should get 200 pounds of thrust to start with, so 600 total right off the bat, and then dropping off rapidly thereafter? Any corrections/comments, would this work?

Physics news on Phys.org
Forget jetpack, are we talking about a bottle rocket?

If you have not yet watched the mythbusters episode on this, please do.

russ_watters said:
If you have not yet watched the mythbusters episode on this, please do.

Will do, I understand the jetpack is a "better in theory" idea i just thought that with pneumatics, and i little innovativeness the weight of a jet could be eliminated and a substantial amount of thrust could still be achieved

bwheeler96 said:
Will do, I understand the jetpack is a "better in theory" idea i just thought that with pneumatics, and i little innovativeness the weight of a jet could be eliminated and a substantial amount of thrust could still be achieved

You mean "jet" as in airliner?

A substantial amount of thrust would provide a lovely boost, but unless you follow that with an amount of thrust required for flight it means nothing. If you don't you're just a glorified bullet.

Amount of thrust required for flight must be > body weight, correct? And from there the more thrust you have, the faster you will accelerate/your top speed will increase? also if 150 p.s.i. of pressure is pushing water through a 3 square inch opening that mean 450 lbs of thrust yes?

Note: I understand that generally we should use kg for this type of thing but I am still getting used to using kg so please work with me here

bwheeler96 said:
Amount of thrust required for flight must be > body weight, correct?

Assuming we're talking vertical take-off (helicopter style) then yes. For hover, thrust = weight.
And from there the more thrust you have, the faster you will accelerate

Yes
your top speed will increase?

Not necessarily.
also if 150 p.s.i. of pressure is pushing water through a 3 square inch opening that mean 450 lbs of thrust yes?

Pressure = Force / Area

So Force = Pressure x Area = 150 x 3 = 450lbf. Sounds good to me.

Thanks a ton, I really appreciate all the help. Now how would i go about calculating the rate of water usage? I can't find much on this and I saw a video with too much pressure and not enough water, the guy had plenty of thrust but this did not end well. Any formula for this?

1. How does a pneumatic jet-pack work?

A pneumatic jet-pack uses compressed air to propel the wearer into the air. The compressed air is released through a nozzle, creating thrust and pushing the wearer upwards.

2. What are the calculations involved in designing a pneumatic jet-pack?

The calculations for a pneumatic jet-pack include determining the amount of compressed air needed, the size and shape of the nozzle, and the weight and height of the wearer. Other factors such as air resistance and fuel consumption may also be considered.

3. How do you calculate the amount of compressed air needed for a pneumatic jet-pack?

The amount of compressed air needed depends on the weight of the wearer and the desired height and duration of flight. Generally, a larger amount of compressed air is needed for longer flights or for heavier individuals.

4. What are the safety considerations for pneumatic jet-pack calculations?

Safety is a crucial factor in pneumatic jet-pack calculations. It is important to ensure that the jet-pack is designed to handle the weight and pressure of the compressed air, and that the nozzle is properly secured. Regular maintenance and testing should also be conducted to ensure safe operation.

5. Are there any limitations to pneumatic jet-pack calculations?

There are some limitations to pneumatic jet-pack calculations, including the availability of compressed air and the weight limit of the jet-pack. The design and calculations must also take into account the wearer's balance and control while in flight.