Pneumatic Regenerative Braking

In summary, a pneumatic regenerative braking system is an interesting idea, but it has major drawbacks.
copria
Does anyone know of a pneumatic regenerative braking system (applied to any type of vehicle)?

Engineering news on Phys.org
copria said:
Does anyone know of a pneumatic regenerative braking system (applied to any type of vehicle)?

Nope. But they talked about it over at http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Regenerative_20Brake_20Bike" way back in aught 2.

It is an interesting idea, but I've not spent enough time researching it. Here are a few numbers I've run across and a few more I've calculated:

Wiki claims that a 5 liter tank charged to 2900 psi has an energy content of 0.16 kwh.
This is 576,000 joules of energy, or about as much kinetic energy as a 3500 lb car traveling at 60 mph, or the amount of energy the same vehicle descending 120 feet at a constant velocity could generate.

Since the energy from regenerative braking is usually recouped in less than a minute, the system would not tend to lose as much thermal energy as purely pneumatically powered vehicles, so it can be approximated to be an adiabatic system. Of course, regenerative systems almost always run in parallel with primary motive systems which generate heat(ICE, electric), so any heat which is lost in the regeneration process can more than be made up for with the use of a simple heat exchanger. By scavenging heat from these primary motors, it could theoretically generate more energy than would be thought possible by simply looking at the physics involved with the regeneration system alone.

Please do not consider me as an expert in this area. I've only considered this as a thought experiment, and have not worked out any of the dirty details of actually implementing such a silly idea. I will leave that for you. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
a professor at my university last time I checked was doing this. I believe he was using it for large industrial applications (e.g. garbage trucks especially). I can't remember his name for the life of me, but from what I understand this is the ideal application.

You won't find to many pneumatic braking systems as you can never have a very efficient regen braking system with a compressible fluid. Hydraulic drive trains with regen brake system are starting to become quite common in commercial vehicles.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/hydraulic-hybrid3.htm

Couple of problems with it.
First you don't have many pneumatic driven vehicles - so you need to have an entirely separate pneumatic drive to reuse the energy stored in the braking system.
Of course on a non-hybrid ICE vehicle you would need to fit a separate electrical system.

But mainly the braking is the wrong way around. With a simple pnuematic system you have the least braking power at the start when there is no pressure in the tank and then the brakes gradually become more effective as the pressure builds up - exactly the opposite behavior you want from brakes. You could fit a more complicated governing system but that adds weight and complexity.

What is pneumatic regenerative braking?

Pneumatic regenerative braking is a type of braking system that uses compressed air to slow down a vehicle and convert the kinetic energy into potential energy. This potential energy is then stored in a tank and can be reused to power the vehicle.

How does pneumatic regenerative braking work?

Pneumatic regenerative braking works by using a compressor to compress air and store it in a tank. When the brakes are applied, the compressed air is released to act as a brake, slowing down the vehicle. This process also captures the kinetic energy of the vehicle and stores it as potential energy in the tank.

What are the benefits of pneumatic regenerative braking?

Pneumatic regenerative braking has several benefits, including improved fuel efficiency, reduced emissions, and longer brake life. It also allows for smoother and more precise braking, leading to improved safety and control for the driver.

What types of vehicles can use pneumatic regenerative braking?

Pneumatic regenerative braking can be used in a variety of vehicles, such as cars, trucks, buses, and trains. It is particularly beneficial for vehicles that frequently stop and start, such as delivery trucks and city buses.

Are there any limitations to pneumatic regenerative braking?

While pneumatic regenerative braking has many benefits, it does have some limitations. It is not as effective at high speeds, so it may not be suitable for highway driving. The system also requires additional components, which can increase the weight and cost of the vehicle.