What is the Relationship Between Veb and Ie in a PNP Transistor?

In summary, a PNP transistor is a type of bipolar junction transistor consisting of three layers of semiconductor material. It works by controlling the flow of current and can act as a switch or amplifier. Voltage is used to control the flow of current and follows Ohm's law. The advantages of using a PNP transistor include its ability to amplify signals, high switching speed, and cost-effectiveness.
M Sally
Homework Statement
Hi,
I have a textbook problem that I've tried to solve, without any success. You see the question and my attempt below.
Relevant Equations
How to calculate VB, VE, and VC
The problem:

My attempt:
5f925992-06fb-424e-b4a0-aa4f00ec95e0_screenshot-2019-05-16-at-16.21.10.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
No, sorry - your approach (and the result) is wrong.
You should start with Veb=Ve-Vb=0.7 volts.
Use ohms law for Ve as well as Vb with Ie as the only unknown parameter - and solve for Ie (with Ie=21*Ib).

Last edited:

1. What is a PNP transistor?

A PNP transistor is a type of bipolar junction transistor (BJT) that consists of three layers of doped semiconductor materials. It has a collector, base, and emitter region, and is used to amplify or switch electronic signals.

2. How does a PNP transistor work?

A PNP transistor works by controlling the flow of current between the collector and emitter regions using the base region. When a small current is applied to the base, it allows a larger current to flow from the collector to the emitter, amplifying the signal.

3. What is the difference between a PNP and NPN transistor?

The main difference between a PNP and NPN transistor is the direction of current flow. In a PNP transistor, current flows from the emitter to the collector, while in an NPN transistor, current flows from the collector to the emitter.

4. What is the function of a voltage in a PNP transistor?

Voltage is used to control the flow of current in a PNP transistor. By applying a small voltage to the base, the transistor can amplify or switch larger currents between the collector and emitter.

5. How is the voltage measured in a PNP transistor circuit?

The voltage in a PNP transistor circuit is typically measured using a voltmeter. The voltmeter is connected across the collector and emitter, or the base and emitter, to measure the voltage drop across those regions.