Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poincare Conjecture - Solved?

1. Jan 1, 2004 #1

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Mathematicians are now saying that Grigory Perelman has really solved the conjecture and the proof will be in a paper he will post in the near future. His previous papers on this subject are in the arxiv specal topic Differential Geometry (under mathematics). Keep your eyes on this space!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2004 #2
    This story even made it onto CNN!

Any thoughts from the number-theory experts here?

4. Jan 11, 2004 #3
    Heck! Now i only have 6 problems to achieve the million of dollars.
    Which I will choose? The P=NP problem? The Hodge conjecture? The Riemann hypothesis not, for sure it must the most investigated by now of the 6.
    It's a pity that I don't understand completely the statement of the Poincare conjecture. It surely must be a very beautiful sensation to achieve to understand the prove of the conjecture. and I think that the prove will have repercussions in the world of physics

5. Jan 11, 2004 #4

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The P=NP problem; the ramifications could boost the world's GDP by several % in one fell swoop (or not; depends on what you prove :wink: ).

Did anyone else see the TV program on Wiles and Fermat? In it, Wiles attempted to explain what it felt like; as good a practical demonstration of 'rapture' as any, I feel.

More exciting than proving the 4-colour theorem, that's for sure. :smile:

6. Jan 11, 2004 #5

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, we don't know how the computer felt.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?