Poincare Invariance of vacuum

1. ChrisVer

ChrisVer 2,346
    Gold Member

Suppose I have a field [itex]\hat{X}[/itex]...
    What kind of operator should it be in order to develop a vev which doesn't break the Poincare invariance?
    I am sure that a scalar field doesn't break the poincare invariance, because it doesn't transform.
    However I don't know how to write it down mathematically or prove it...
    Also, because I don't know how to "prove" it, I am not sure if there can exist some other [itex]X[/itex] field/operator which would keep the poincare invariance untouched after getting a vev...So why couldn't it be a fermion? or a vector field?

Is it the same as looking at the Lorentz group? So that you have the scalar in (0,0)repr, while the fermions can be in (1/2,0) or (0,1/2) and vectors in (1/2,1/2)?
    But who tells me that the vacuum shouldn't be a spinor or vector?

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Vanadium 50

Vanadium 50 18,157
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

In which direction does the background point?

4. ChrisVer

ChrisVer 2,346
    Gold Member

what is the background?

5. Vanadium 50

Vanadium 50 18,157
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I'm sorry. I mean vacuum. In what direction does it point?

1 person likes this.
  6. Apart from scalar fields, rank 2 tensor fields may develop a vev proportional to the metric tensor without breaking Lorentz invariance since the metric by definition is invariant.

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  7. ChrisVer

ChrisVer 2,346
    Gold Member

I thought that a general metric breaks poincare invariance (and brings instead general coord transfs)?q
    For minkowski metric, doesn't it transform like a 2nd rank tensor?

8. Exactly, and since the form of the metric is preserved, it looks the same in all frames. Thus, a vev proportional to the metric does not break Lorentz invariance.

9. ChrisVer

ChrisVer 2,346
    Gold Member

is there any source dealing with such a thing (vev of the minkowski metric)? I am not even sure how the metric would act on the vacuum...

10. A VEV coming from a scalar field is Poincarè invariant for the following reason (I'm excluding the case of the VEV being proportional to the metric since I'm not very familiar with it). Under a Lorentz transformation [itex]\Lambda[/itex] a generic field transforms as:
    $$
    U^\dagger(\Lambda)\phi(x)U(\Lambda)=S(\Lambda)\phi(\Lambda x),
    $$
    where U([itex]\Lambda[/itex]) belongs to the representation of the Lorentz group acting on the physical states while [itex]S(\Lambda)[/itex] belongs to the representation acting on the operators.

The vacuum is clearly Lorentz invariant. If you want for your VEV to be Lorentz invariant it must be:
    $$
    \langle 0|\phi(x)|0\rangle=\langle 0|\phi(\Lambda x)|0\rangle,
    $$
    however, because of the invariance of the vacuum:
    $$
    \langle 0|\phi(x)|0\rangle=\langle 0|U^\dagger(\Lambda)\phi(x)U(\Lambda)|0\rangle=S(\Lambda)\langle 0|\phi(\Lambda x)|0\rangle,
    $$
    and so it must be [itex]S=1[/itex] which is true for a scalar field.

1 person likes this.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted