Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poincaré, Ricci flow and Super String Theory

1. Jul 7, 2004 #1
    I just read the latest Scientific American and they have an article about the proof of the Poincaré conjecture. Apparently the proof uses a modified (an extra element) Ricci flow and then the article says that the modification to the Ricci flow pops up in Super String Theory :confused: .

Does this relate to the Calabi-Yau manifolds and their possible transformations? How? Is it relevant to String Theory?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2004 #2
    First off, I believe what is being described is a 3-manifold (3-sphere for the topologist) where I BELIEVE a Calabi-Yau manifold is a 6-manifold. (I may be mistaken).

Secondly, I believe Perelman, when modifying the Ricci flow equation, added a term to the equation. I do believe that this term is often used in string theories.

Still, it very well may be applicable to ST.

Paden Roder

4. Jul 9, 2004 #3
  5. Jul 10, 2004 #4
    Don't know squat about strings but i am curretly (slowly) reading the Perleman papers. There is a ricci like analogue for the renormalization "group" flow in some qft models....no idea if it comes up in string theory.
    Mike Anderson has a nice page of notes on the proof and background....maybe that will help you:

http://www.math.sunysb.edu/%7Eanderson/papers.html

And this was the first overview of the papers from the period after the publication of the results:
    http://www.math.lsa.umich.edu/research/ricciflow/overview102503.pdf

Also, i am not sure how they are viewed/used in string theory but i have always seen calabi Yau spaces defined as 2n dim manifolds with SU(n) holonomy.
    So though 6 might be reasonable i see no compelling reason that it is the only dimension.

If you should find out the connection to strings please let us know.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?