1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Point Charge on Semicircular Ring

1. Oct 17, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

6ab1703a-9eb8-437e-98ca-897848a9c148.jpg

A point charge Q is located at point P(0,-4,0) while a 10nc charge is uniformly distributed along a semicircular ring as shown in the figure. find the value of Q such that E(0,0,0)=0

2. Relevant equations

Q=ρLdl
    dl = ρd∅ (because ρ and z are constant)
    E=[itex]\frac{Qρ}{4piεr^2}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Okay so first I'd have to find Q using the formula above. I'd set my limits from 0 to pi.

Now looking at the formula for point charge, the only missing factor is R. I don't know how to express this. I know that the equation of a hemisphere is very similar to that of a circle. I came up with y=[itex]\sqrt{4-x^2}[/itex]. But now that I look at it, if I tried to convert that to polar using the relationships x=rcos[itex]\vartheta[/itex] and y=rsin[itex]\vartheta[/itex], it really seems wrong.

What's the best procedure in doing this? What should I say to myself every time I see a ring? Because to be honest, I really get confused when I see an odd figure labeled in terms of (x,y,z) even though it's much easier in another system.

Also, after finding R, I simply just stick to the formula and I will obtain my solution, right?

Thank you for any help :)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2011 #2
    First off you want to treat each case separately. By symmetry of the problem we know that the E-field will only be in the y-direction. Since the charge is distributed uniformly along the arc, you can deal with it as a line charge density which is what you did:
    [itex]dQ_1=\rho_l(\rho d\phi)[/itex] now integrating that out you can get the line charge density in terms of [itex]Q_1[/itex] (which you'll want in the end).

So setting up the integral for the E-field:
    Since your r is constant (r=2) you'll only be integrating over the angular change.
    [itex]dE_y=\frac{\rho_l}{2\pi\epsilon_or}sin\phi d\phi[/itex]

Integrating that out should give you the E-field in the y-direction due to the hemisphere.

The point charge is just the E-field due to a point charge which is:
    [itex]E = \frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_oR^2}[/itex] where Q is the charge you're solving for and R is the distance to the charge.

The total E-field:
    [itex]E_t = E_{ring}-E_{charge}[/itex] and just solve for Q.

Hope this helps.

4. Oct 18, 2011 #3
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook