Point Charge Problem: Net Force Calculation

In summary, the net force magnitude on charge q1 exerted by the other two charges is 0.21 N, with a direction of 63 degrees counterclockwise from the positive x-axis. However, the angle may not be correct due to the assumption that a force in the positive y direction is positive.
azila

Homework Statement

Two Positive charges q1 = q2= 2.0 microC are located at x=0, y = .30 m and x =0, y =-.30m. Third point charge Q =4.0 microC is located at x=.40 m, y = 0. What is the net force magnitude and the direction on charge q1 exerted by the other two charges.

Homework Equations

coulomb's law

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so this is what I did. I drew the charges and then for the point charge Q acting on q1, i drew out the components and everything. So, first I just solved for the F(Q on q1)=k(Qq1)/(.50^2). I found the .50 through the pythagorean theorem. So I get .29 N. Then for the components. I solved that by having the x component be negative since cos is negative in the second quadrant and y component is positive since sin is positive in the second quadrant. I got the respective values to be -.17 and .23. Then I did F(q2 on q1). There is no x component and there is only a y component. The y component through coulomb's law, comes out to -.1 since they both are positive and so they repel. So, the Fx is -.17 and Fy is .23-.1 which is .13 N. I found the resultant to be .21 and theta to be 37 degrees. However, this is not the right answer. Any thing that I am doing wrong??Or am i not even following the steps correctly..I would appreciate any help. Thanks..

Physics news on Phys.org
azila said:

Homework Statement

Two Positive charges q1 = q2= 2.0 microC are located at x=0, y = .30 m and x =0, y =-.30m. Third point charge Q =4.0 microC is located at x=.40 m, y = 0. What is the net force magnitude and the direction on charge q1 exerted by the other two charges.

Homework Equations

coulomb's law

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so this is what I did. I drew the charges and then for the point charge Q acting on q1, i drew out the components and everything. So, first I just solved for the F(Q on q1)=k(Qq1)/(.50^2). I found the .50 through the pythagorean theorem. So I get .29 N. Then for the components. I solved that by having the x component be negative since cos is negative in the second quadrant and y component is positive since sin is positive in the second quadrant. I got the respective values to be -.17 and .23. Then I did F(q2 on q1). There is no x component and there is only a y component. The y component through coulomb's law, comes out to -.1 since they both are positive and so they repel. So, the Fx is -.17 and Fy is .23-.1 which is .13 N. I found the resultant to be .21 and theta to be 37 degrees. However, this is not the right answer. Any thing that I am doing wrong??Or am i not even following the steps correctly..I would appreciate any help. Thanks..

Force is a vector. If you take it that a force in the positive y direction is positive (as you have done so when finding F(Q on q1), then the F(q2 on q1) is also positive, as it exists in the direction of the positive y axis...

oh so it doesn't matter that they have the same charges... is that right?

ok, i got the magnitude but the angle is not working. I get 63 and then i subtracted from 90 to get Counterclockwise, to be 27 but it does not work..

1. What is a point charge?

A point charge is a theoretical concept in physics, representing an electric charge that is concentrated at a single point and has no physical size or volume.

2. How do you calculate the net force of a point charge problem?

To calculate the net force of a point charge problem, you need to use Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What is the unit of measurement for electric charge?

The unit of measurement for electric charge is the Coulomb (C). One Coulomb is equivalent to the amount of electric charge transferred by a current of one ampere in one second.

4. Can the net force of a point charge problem be negative?

Yes, the net force of a point charge problem can be negative. This indicates that the force between the two charges is attractive, meaning that the charges are of opposite signs.

5. How does the distance between two point charges affect the net force?

The distance between two point charges is inversely proportional to the net force between them. This means that as the distance increases, the net force decreases and vice versa.