Electric Field at Point 36.0 cm from Rod Center

In summary, a 16.0 cm long uniformly charged rod with a total charge of -24.0 µC has an electric field along its axis at a point 36.0 cm from its center. This can be calculated using Coulomb's law by integrating the field contribution from each charge element along the rod. Gauss's law will not be helpful in this situation.
Artifaxx
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to use the gauss law?

You'll need to integrate the field contribution from each charge element along the rod.

At praharmitra: No I don't know how.

At Doc Al: What is the equation for that?

Coulomb's law... the one you linked.

(FYI: Gauss's law won't help here.)

Doc Al said:
Coulomb's law... the one you linked.

(FYI: Gauss's law won't help here.)

Ah! you're right! I didn't read the bit where we need to calculate E along the axis! And I also missed the part where the rod wasn't infinite.

my bad.

Thank you. I got it.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence that charged particles have on each other. It is represented by a vector that indicates the direction and strength of the force that a positive charge would experience at a given point in space.

2. How is the electric field at a point determined?

The electric field at a point is determined by the strength and direction of the electric field surrounding the point. This is influenced by the amount and distribution of charged particles in the surrounding space.

3. What is the significance of the distance of 36.0 cm from the rod center?

The distance of 36.0 cm from the rod center is significant because it is the point at which the electric field is being measured. This distance determines the strength and direction of the electric field at that specific point.

4. How does the electric field change as the distance from the rod center increases?

The electric field decreases as the distance from the rod center increases. This is because the influence of the charged particles decreases with distance. The electric field follows an inverse square law, meaning that it decreases proportionally to the square of the distance.

5. What factors can affect the electric field at a point 36.0 cm from the rod center?

The electric field at a point 36.0 cm from the rod center can be affected by the charge and distribution of charged particles on the rod, as well as any other nearby charged objects. It can also be affected by the material and structure of the surrounding space, which may alter the strength and direction of the electric field.