1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Point charge/work problem.

1. Feb 6, 2006 #1
    A positive point charge q1 = 2.30uC is located at the origin (x=0, y=0). The charge is held fixed. Another point charge q2 = 5.60uC starts at the point (0.180 m,0). What is the magnitude of the work required to move q2 to
    (0,0.370 m) (in J)?

How do I do this?

I know W =Fd, but I don't think I can use the equation F = (k1q2)/r^2, because the distance is constantly changing.

Can anyone at least give me a hint or some insight?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2006 #2
    Remember, the electric force is conservative. That means that the path travelled does NOT affect the total work done. It's simply a matter of where the point starts, and where it ends. Find the potential energy at each place, and [itex]W = -\Delta PE[/itex].

Note that work is only done when r changes, by the way. Otherwise, the charge is travelling on an equipotential surface, and you get to move it around for free.

Also, W = F DOT d, which is an important distinction.
  4. Feb 6, 2006 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Indeed, W=Fd holds only if F is constant. If F changes over the distance, you have to cut the distance into many small pieces and take F to be constant over each piece and sum up the contributions. In other words: integrate.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?