1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Point Charge Work

1. Jan 23, 2009 #1
    A point charge, Q=+1mC, is fixed at the origin. How much work is required to move a charge, q=+8(micro)C, from the point (0,4meters) to the point (3meters,0)?

I was unable to derive anything.

I guessed at around 40J. Correct? If so HOW! lol
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2009 #2
    How are electric potential and work related?
  4. Jan 23, 2009 #3
  5. Jan 24, 2009 #4
    You have there an equation relating the electric potential to the electric field and the separation between the change in potential. While it's useful you need to find a way to relate V to W...
  6. Jan 24, 2009 #5
    I don't know.... V=Eq*d ? because F=Eq ?
  7. Jan 24, 2009 #6
    Ok so it V = E * d then it seems logical to say that

V = (F*d)/q, right? Now the nice thing about electric potential is that it is a scalar.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  8. Jan 24, 2009 #7
    Since the electic field created by Q is not uniform E(x) must be used

where K is

The force on q is

So, the work done on q is

9. Jan 24, 2009 #8
    This problem doesn't require integration.

and.... how did you derive V = (F*d)/q? if F=Eq, then by your derivation V=(Eq)*d/q, which is reduced to V=Ed? how does V=Eqd=Ed?
  10. Jan 24, 2009 #9
    Typing error... V=E*d => V = F*d / q
  11. Jan 24, 2009 #10
    Integration is a way to solve the problem. Simply choose a convenient path starting at (0,4) and ending at (3,0). Any path will work because E is a conservative field. Using potential is another way. Finding the potential difference between the two points then multiplying this difference by q will give the desired result. Because E is not uniform use integration.

[tex]V=-\int_{\infty}^{r}\mbox{E(r)dr}=\frac{Q}{4\pi \varepsilon_0\mbox{r}}[/tex]

[tex]V_1=\int_{4}^{\infty}\mbox{E(y)dy}=\frac{Q}{4\pi \varepsilon_0\mbox{4}}[/tex]

[tex]V_2=\int_{3}^{\infty}\mbox{E(x)dx}}=\frac{Q}{4\pi \varepsilon_0\mbox{3}}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?