Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Point charges acceleration

1. Sep 12, 2010 #1
    Q1. If two point charges have equal mass and and charg are released on a frictionless table, each has an initial acceleration (Ao). if instead you keep one fixed and release the other one, what will be its initial acceleration?Ao,2Ao or Ao/2?

Q2. A point charge of mass (m) and charge (q) and another point charge of mass (m) but charge (2q) are released on a frictionless table. If the charge (q) has an initial acceleration (Ao), what will be the acceleration of (2q)?Ao, 2Ao, 4Ao,Ao/2, or Ao/4?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2010 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

Show us what you've tried and what you know that might be relevant to the problem.

4. Sep 12, 2010 #3
    Q1 Since both charges are the same they will repel one another. So I was comparing this problem to a ping pong ball problem I had in Physics I, when the force of the wall equals the force of the ball thrown. Wouldn't the acceleration just be Ao?

Q2 Since F=ma the mass is proportional to the acceleration therefore the acceleration should be 2Ao.

5. Sep 12, 2010 #4

diazona

Homework Helper

1. I believe you're correct

2. Look at that equation carefully: the mass is not proportional to the acceleration.

6. Sep 13, 2010 #5
    They are inversely proportional so the acceleration should be Ao/2?

7. Sep 13, 2010 #6

diazona

Homework Helper

You're right that in F=ma, the mass and acceleration are inversely proportional. But what are the masses of the two particles?

8. Oct 10, 2012 #7
    i think you are wrong guys, cuz it's an electric force not an applied force.
    so the acceleration = Ao . o:)

9. Oct 10, 2012 #8
    i think you are wrong guys, cuz it's an electric force not an applied force.
    so the acceleration = Ao .
    [they have the same acceleration ]

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook