1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Point charges problem

1. Dec 13, 2003 #1
    Problem 22.
    Two positive point charges, each of which has a charge of 1.9*10^-9C, are located at y=0.38m and y=-0.38m.
    a. Find the magnitude of the resultant electrial force on a charge of 1.8*10^-9 C located at x=0.28m. Answer in N.
    Note: I used a^2+b^2=c^2 to find r in Coluomb's law which I got as 0.472016949. From that I added F_1+F_2 to get 0.0000000276N which was wrong, what did I do wrong?
    b. What is the direction of this force(measured from the positive x-axis, with counterclockwise positive)? Answer in degrees.
    Note: Would I find the angle by dividing the two electric force answers and times by tan-1?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, you should, in general, use the fact that a vector, of length v, making angle θ with the x-axis has x-component v cosθ and y-component v sinθ then add the two vector component wise.
    Another way is to use the sin law in the triangles formed.

Actually, in this case, the answer is very simple: since the charges are the same and are symmetrically placed, use symmetry.
  4. Dec 13, 2003 #3

I need more help?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?