1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Point Charges

1. Sep 17, 2008 #1
    Charge 1 is located along the x axis and has a magnitude of +1.6E-6C and Charge 2 is located 1m away from charge 1 with a magnitude of -4.8E-6C. A third point charge of magnitude Q is brought from far apart and placed on the line joining the two charges and at a point where the charge q experiences no net force at all. What is the distance of that point from the origin and what should be the sign of this unknown charge q?

This is what I came up with so far...

F1 = K (Q1)(Q2)/X^2
    F2 = K (Q2)(Q3)/(1m-x)^2
    You set them equal to eachother and get
    K(Q1)(Q2)/X^2 = K(Q2)(Q3)/(1.00-x)^2
    Cancel out K and Q3 leaving;
    (1.00-x^2)/X^2 = (Q2)/(Q1)
    1.00-x/x = square root (4.8E-6C/1.6E-6C)
    1.00-1x = 1.73x
    1.00=1.73x +1x
    x = .366

Does anybody know if this is correct?

Also I do not know how to figure out what the sign of this charge should be so if anybody could help me I would appreciate it!
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

You have chosen a point between the positive and negative charges. There is an E-field between those two charges at all points. What you found is the point at which the magnitudes are equal, but the direction is the same direction for both.

Choose a point outside the 2 charges, away from the larger one and closer to the smaller to fgure your Null point.
  4. Sep 18, 2008 #3
    So if I choose a point to the right of the -4.8 charge then the vectors are in the opposite direction. So are you saying in that equation I should add x
    so it would be

1.00+x = 1.73x
    1.00=1.73x - 1x
    1.00 = .73x

x = 1.4m

If that is right then how do I figure out the sign of the charge?

Thanks for your help!
  5. Sep 18, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

Refresh my memory, does an e-field of 0 exert a force on any charge?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?