Finding Zero Net Electrostatic Force of +ve Charge b/w q1 & q2

In summary, two point-like objects with charges of +4C and -3C are separated by a fixed distance of 50 cm. To find the point where a point-like positive charge experiences zero net electrostatic force, the equation (4C * q)/(.5 + x)^2 = -(-3C * q)/x^2 can be used, where q is the positive charge and x is the distance from the q2 charge. This equation can be solved using the quadratic formula.
forty
Two point-like objects carry charges of q1 = +4C and q2 = -3C and are separated by
a fixed distance of 50 cm.

(a) Determine the point (other than infinity) at which a point-like positive charge will
experience zero net electrostatic force due to the two fixed charges.

q1 = +4C ...... q2 = -3C ...... +ve charge
.. + <----------.5m----------> - <---------xm---------> +

+ve charge has to be closer to the q2 charge but further away from q1. ( positive charge = 1.6*10^-19 C )

So you need to balance forces?

let q = positive charge
Force q1 on q = -Force q2 on q
(4C * q)/(.5 + x)^2 = -(-3C * q)/x^2

Have I set this equation up properly?

Any help greatly appreciated,
Thanks!

EDIT: I figured out my problem. I wasn't using the quadratic formula properly to solve for x. So how do I delete a post?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
forty said:
Two point-like objects carry charges of q1 = +4C and q2 = -3C and are separated by
a fixed distance of 50 cm.

(a) Determine the point (other than infinity) at which a point-like positive charge will
experience zero net electrostatic force due to the two fixed charges.

q1 = +4C ...... q2 = -3C ...... +ve charge
.. + <----------.5m----------> - <---------xm---------> +

+ve charge has to be closer to the q2 charge but further away from q1. ( positive charge = 1.6*10^-19 C )

So you need to balance forces?

let q = positive charge
Force q1 on q = -Force q2 on q
(4C * q)/(.5 + x)^2 = -(-3C * q)/x^2

Have I set this equation up properly?

Any help greatly appreciated,
Thanks!
Looks good to me :approve:

To delete a post, you can go to the post and click on the three dots in the top right corner. From there, you should see an option to delete the post. If you are unable to delete the post, you can reach out to the platform's support team for assistance.

1) How do you calculate the net electrostatic force between two positive charges?

To calculate the net electrostatic force between two positive charges, you can use the equation F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the magnitudes of the charges, and r is the distance between the charges. This formula takes into account the repulsive force between two positive charges.

2) What is the role of Coulomb's constant in finding the net electrostatic force?

Coulomb's constant, denoted by k, is a proportionality constant that relates the electrostatic force between two charges to their magnitudes and distance. It is an essential component in the calculation of the net electrostatic force and has a value of 8.99 x 10^9 N*m^2/C^2.

3) Are there any other factors that affect the net electrostatic force between two positive charges?

Yes, apart from the magnitude and distance between the two charges, the presence of any other charges in the vicinity can also affect the net electrostatic force. These additional charges can either strengthen or weaken the overall force between the two positive charges.

4) Can the net electrostatic force between two positive charges ever be zero?

Yes, it is possible for the net electrostatic force between two positive charges to be zero. This occurs when the two charges have equal magnitudes and are placed at the same distance from each other. In this case, the attractive and repulsive forces cancel each other out, resulting in a net force of zero.

5) How can the direction of the net electrostatic force between two positive charges be determined?

The direction of the net electrostatic force between two positive charges can be determined by considering the direction of each individual force acting on the charges. If the charges are of equal magnitude, the net force will be in the direction of the line connecting the two charges. If the charges have different magnitudes, the net force will be in the direction of the stronger force.