1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Point charges

1. Jul 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The four point charges, each of + 3.00 μC, are situated at the corners of a rectangle of length, b = 60.0 cm and width, a = 30.0 cm.

Find the magnitude and direction of the force on q2, due to the other charges.
    Solved this but i needed someone to check it for me because its worth marks.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The force on Q_2 is 1.05N and the direction is 68.5 degrees

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2010 #2
    i am not sure if anyone would work out the calculations and verify the result.
    but if you show all your calculations, someone might check them.

this problem is pretty simple vector addition & you've got to be sure about your calculations.

4. Jul 17, 2010 #3
    Hey graphene sorry I meant to put my procedure in... basically there is one force in the i direction and 1 in the j - both from a 3 uC charge. The one that is slightly difficult (not really but compared to the others) is the one that sits on the opposite corner and affects both the i and j cmpts. For this I found the radius using p's theorem and then found the force - then I split that up by Fcos(theta)i+Fsin(theta)j. then I added the i and j cmpts and resolved again. can you please tell me if this is right??? thanks

5. Jul 18, 2010 #4
    yes, that's the way to do it.

6. Jul 18, 2010 #5
    thanks graphene

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook