Point Charges: Finding Force on Q_2 - Solved Homework Problem

In summary, the conversation is about finding the magnitude and direction of the force on Q_2, due to four point charges situated at the corners of a rectangle. The calculations have been done and the result is verified by someone else. The procedure involves finding the radius and then splitting up the force into its i and j components. The calculations are considered to be correct.
pat666

Homework Statement

The four point charges, each of + 3.00 μC, are situated at the corners of a rectangle of length, b = 60.0 cm and width, a = 30.0 cm.

Find the magnitude and direction of the force on q2, due to the other charges.
Solved this but i needed someone to check it for me because its worth marks.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The force on Q_2 is 1.05N and the direction is 68.5 degrees

Physics news on Phys.org
i am not sure if anyone would work out the calculations and verify the result.
but if you show all your calculations, someone might check them.

this problem is pretty simple vector addition & you've got to be sure about your calculations.

Hey graphene sorry I meant to put my procedure in... basically there is one force in the i direction and 1 in the j - both from a 3 uC charge. The one that is slightly difficult (not really but compared to the others) is the one that sits on the opposite corner and affects both the i and j cmpts. For this I found the radius using p's theorem and then found the force - then I split that up by Fcos(theta)i+Fsin(theta)j. then I added the i and j cmpts and resolved again. can you please tell me if this is right? thanks

yes, that's the way to do it.

thanks graphene

1. What is a point charge?

A point charge is a concept in physics that represents an electric charge concentrated at a single point in space. This charge can be either positive or negative and is measured in units of Coulombs (C).

2. How is a point charge different from a distributed charge?

A distributed charge is spread out over an area, while a point charge is concentrated at a single point. This means that the electric field produced by a point charge will vary with distance, while the electric field produced by a distributed charge will be more uniform.

3. Can point charges exist in nature?

While point charges are a theoretical concept, they do not exist in nature as all charges have a finite size. However, point charges can be used as a simplification in certain calculations or models.

4. How do point charges interact with each other?

Point charges interact with each other through the electric force, which follows Coulomb's law. This states that the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

5. What is the electric field produced by a point charge?

The electric field produced by a point charge is a vector field that describes the strength and direction of the electric force at any point in space surrounding the charge. It follows an inverse square law, meaning that the strength of the electric field decreases with distance from the point charge.