Solving for Electric Force: Two Point Charges

In summary: On the other hand, If the professor makes me feel like I can ask any question and I'm not going to get in trouble, then I love the professor.
netteo

Homework Statement

Two point charges, 3q and q lie along x-axes. 3q is at 0.00 m and q is at 3.0m.
Find the point between the 2 charges at which the net force on charge q is zero.

Homework Equations

F=kq1q2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Really can't figure this one out. Missed the first lesson.

Physics news on Phys.org
are they talking about net electric field or net electric force?

I'm pretty sure they mean net electric field, since there are only 2 charges. Otherwise, the electric force would be the same so long as the two charges are in the same place and if a point charge is placed somewhere between. I mean, in that case, the net force on the point charge anywhere between the two charges would be zero, but that the charge on q would be the same.

The answer is 1.9m.

I still don't understand it because since both the charges are positive, wouldn't the forces be in the other direction (no forces in between both the charges) since they are going to repel each other?

If they are talking about the net electric field being that of zero, then here's what you do:

make K(3q)/((3-r)^2)=k(q)/((r)^2)

Therefore,

3r^2=(3-r)^2
and

0=9 -6r -3r^2 +r^2

use quadratic formula to solve

6 +/- sqrt(36 + 4(2)(9))/2(-2)=r

(6+/- 10.39)/-4=1.1meters
and 3-1.1=1.9 AH! :D there's your answer!

Oh wow.. thanks!
That makes so much more sense than what my TA taught me!

Totally made my day! Thank you so much! :D

I'm also in physics 2 and I had a bit of trouble understanding why this is true. I mean, it has everything to do with distance and electric field.

I guess my lecturer just worded it weirdly.. =/

My professor is funny guy, but he and I talk a lot. So, It's cool. The best thing to do is if you get a better professor that fits your style of learning. I'm the kind of person who learns if he feels free in the classroom. So, if a professor is extremely strict and too authoritarian, I'd hate the professor.

1. How do I calculate the electric force between two point charges?

To calculate the electric force between two point charges, you can use Coulomb's law, which states that the force is equal to the product of the two charges divided by the square of the distance between them, multiplied by a constant. The equation is F = k * (q1 * q2) / r^2, where F is the force, k is the constant (8.99 x 10^9 N * m^2 / C^2), q1 and q2 are the charges, and r is the distance between the charges.

2. What is the direction of the electric force between two point charges?

The direction of the electric force between two point charges depends on the charges' signs. If the charges are of the same sign (both positive or both negative), the force is repulsive, meaning it pushes the charges away from each other. If the charges are of opposite signs, the force is attractive, meaning it pulls the charges towards each other.

3. How does the distance between two point charges affect the electric force?

The electric force between two point charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the force decreases, and vice versa. For example, doubling the distance between the charges will result in the force being one-fourth of its original value.

4. Can the electric force between two point charges be negative?

Yes, the electric force between two point charges can be negative. This occurs when the charges have opposite signs and the force is attractive. Negative force values indicate that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the chosen positive direction.

5. How does the magnitude of the charges affect the electric force between two point charges?

The magnitude of the charges has a direct impact on the electric force between two point charges. The larger the charges, the greater the force. For example, if one charge is doubled while the other is kept constant, the force will also double. Similarly, if both charges are doubled, the force will quadruple.