1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Point of a Parallelogram

1. May 1, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given a parallelogram ABCD has vertices A(-1,2,-1), B(2,-1,3) and D(-3,1-3). Find the coordinates of C.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm extremely confused here. I do not know how to tell which coordinate is for which vertex on the parallelogram. I know this has to do with vector addition, but I can't picture it to solve the problem.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2008 #2
    I believe that the convention is that A -> B -> C -> D -> A will traverse the parallelogram. So C is connected by lines to point D and point B. Hopefully that helps
  4. May 1, 2008 #3
    A, B, C are three points in R^3. Imagine there are three points in your room or wherever. They can be connected to form a triangle. Think about how to turn a triangle into a parallelogram. You can get like three different parallelograms, but the question specifies that the parallelogram is ABCD, not ABDC or ACBD. What this means is described by CrazyIvan.

Opposite sides in a parallelogram are parallel and equal in length. So A - B = D - C.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?