What is the proof of the Bolzano-Weierstrass Theorem?

• Thread starter courtrigrad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point
In summary: Thanks!In summary, the point of accumulation is a point in a set that contains an infinite number of points. This theorem suggests that there is at least one point in any bounded infinite subset of the real numbers that contains an infinite number of points.
courtrigrad
I was just reading about the point of accumulation. Is it right in saying that given any sub-interval, that atleast one of these could contain ani infinite amount of points? Also why couldn't all the sub intervals contain an infinite amount of points? I came across the following: [tex] 0.a_{1}a_{2} [/tex] (where a1 and a2 are sub-intervals) must be the point of accumulation. I do not understand the following statement. Is it because its a decimal?

Thanks a lot :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
courtrigrad said:
I was just reading about the point of accumulation. Is it right in saying that given any sub-interval, that atleast one of these could contain ani infinite amount of points? Also why couldn't all the sub intervals contain an infinite amount of points? I came across the following: [tex] 0.a_{1}a_{2} [/tex] (where a1 and a2 are sub-intervals) must be the point of accumulation. I do not understand the following statement. Is it because its a decimal?

Thanks a lot :smile:

"given any sub-interval, that atleast one of these could contain ani infinite amount of points" What do you mean by "at least one of them"? One of what? The definition of "point of accumulation (of a set of points) is that there exist an interval (more generally neighborhood) of the point that contains an infinite number of points in the set. Of course, I is an interval about "point of accumulation" P, any sub-interval of I, that also contains P, must also contain an infinite number of point in the set.

"I came across the following: [tex] 0.a_{1}a_{2} [/tex]
(where a1 and a2 are sub-intervals) must be the point of accumulation. I do not understand the following statement."
What "following statement"? You don't give any "following statement".
As far as [tex] 0.a_{1}a_{2} [/tex] is concerned, I don't know what that could mean if "a1 and a2 are subintervals" rather than digits! Are you sure you copied it correctly?

This sounds like the proof of the Bolzano-Weierstrass Theorem

Any bounded infinite subset of [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex] has an accumulation point.

There is nothing prohibiting all the subintervals from having an infinite number of points in common with the set. Note that the theorem doesn't suggest that the set has ONE and ONLY one accumulation point, just that there is at least one.

As for the second part of your statement, I think what is intended is the INTERSECTION of the subintervals. This is nonempty ( although this is a slightly nontrivial conclusion - it requires you to know that the reals are locally sequentially compact ). None-the-less, since the original set has an infinite number of points in common with each subinterval ( chosen in accordance with the proof of the Bolzano-Weierstrass Theorem ), and any neighborhood of the intersection will contain one of the subintervals ( as the diameter of the subintervals get smaller at the rate of [itex]2^n[/itex] ) - then any neighborhood of the interesection of the subintervals therefore has infinitely many points in common with the original set. In otherwords, the intersection contains an accumulation point ( and in this case, there is one and only 1 in the interesection because the diameter of the subintervals goes to 0 )

I hope that wasn't too confusing, I was trying to avoid getting into specifics. If it will help to do so, let me know.

What is a Point of Accumulation?

A Point of Accumulation is a point on a graph or curve where an infinite number of values are approaching or converging towards it. It is also known as a limit point or cluster point.

How do you find the Point of Accumulation on a graph?

To find the Point of Accumulation on a graph, you must first plot the values on the graph. Then, identify any points where the values are approaching or converging towards. These points are the Points of Accumulation.

What is the difference between a Point of Accumulation and an Accumulation Point?

A Point of Accumulation and an Accumulation Point are essentially the same thing. Both refer to a point on a graph where an infinite number of values are converging towards. However, some may use the term "Accumulation Point" to refer to a point in a set, while "Point of Accumulation" is used more often in the context of graphs and curves.

Why is the Point of Accumulation important in mathematics?

The Point of Accumulation is important in mathematics because it helps us understand the behavior of a function or set of data. It can also help us determine the convergence or divergence of a series or sequence, which is crucial in many mathematical calculations and applications.

Can a set have more than one Point of Accumulation?

Yes, a set can have more than one Point of Accumulation. This means that there are multiple points on the graph or curve where an infinite number of values are converging towards. These points may be different or may overlap each other on the graph.