How Do You Find the Point of Intersection for These Equations?

In summary, the conversation involved finding the point of intersection between two equations, y=1/5(2)^4x-7 and y=1/10(1/2)^9-3x. The person attempted to solve for the point of intersection by making the two equations equal to each other and simplifying, but was unsure of what to do next. They were reminded to include parentheses when using exponents and given hints to help simplify the equations.
darrenc

Homework Statement

Find the point of intersection

Homework Equations

Equation 1

y=1/5(2)4x-7

Equation 2

y=1/10(1/2)9-3x

The Attempt at a Solution

Made them equal each other got rid of the 1/5 one one side and it made the 1/10 turn into 1/2 and now i don't know what to do so I got

(2)4X-7 = 1/2(1/2)9-3X

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
darrenc said:

Homework Statement

Find the point of intersection

Homework Equations

Equation 1

y=1/5(2)^4x-7

Equation 2

y=1/10(1/2)^9-3x

The Attempt at a Solution

Made them equal each other got rid of the 1/5 one one side and it made the 1/10 turn into 1/2 and now i don't know what to do so I got

(2)^4X-7 = 1/2(1/2)^9-3X
I think you need more parentheses! Is this 24x - 7 = (1/2)(1/2)9 - 3x?

If you don't know how to use superscripts for exponents, at least put parentheses around exponents with multiple terms.

Mark44 said:
I think you need more parentheses! Is this 24x - 7 = (1/2)(1/2)9 - 3x?

If you don't know how to use superscripts for exponents, at least put parentheses around exponents with multiple terms.

happy now?

Am I happy that you can quote what I did? Not so much that I'm doing cartwheels or anything.

Can you simplify a*ab?

Also, 2x = (1/2)-x.

These hints should help you write your equation so both sides use the same base.

1. What is a point of intersection?

A point of intersection is the location where two or more lines, curves, or surfaces meet or cross each other. It is the common point shared by these geometric entities.

2. How do you find the point of intersection?

The point of intersection can be found by solving the equations or systems of equations for the lines, curves, or surfaces that are intersecting. This can be done algebraically or graphically depending on the situation.

3. Why is the point of intersection important?

The point of intersection is important because it represents the solution to a problem or the common ground between two or more entities. It can also help determine relationships between these entities and provide insight into their behavior.

4. What types of problems involve finding the point of intersection?

Problems that involve finding the point of intersection can range from simple algebraic equations to more complex geometric or calculus problems. They can also be related to real-world scenarios such as finding the intersection of two roads or the intersection of supply and demand curves in economics.

5. Are there any special cases or exceptions when finding the point of intersection?

Yes, there are special cases or exceptions when finding the point of intersection. For example, if the equations are parallel, there is no point of intersection. In three-dimensional space, there can be a point of intersection, a line of intersection, or no intersection at all depending on the orientation of the surfaces. It is important to carefully consider the context and equations involved when finding the point of intersection.