Finding the Point of Intersection: A Simpler Approach

So if you don't understand, or it doesn't work, feel free to contact me at my email. I'll try to help as best I can. In summary, the question asks to find the point of intersection for each pair of lines. The suggested methods include using the graphical method and the algebraic method. The graphical method involves drawing the lines and determining the coordinates of the intersection point. The algebraic method involves solving for the x-coordinate of the point of intersection using the formula x= "d" divided by "S", and then substituting the value into one of the equations to solve for the y-coordinate. Another suggested approach is to use the axes intercept feature of the equations to determine the coordinates of the point of intersection.
.hacker//Kazu
The question asks that I : Find the point of intersection for each pair of lines.

a) x + y= 4, x - 2y=1
b) x + 2y= 0, x - y= 3
c) 2x + y= 1, x + y= 2
d) 6x= 12 - 3y, 1/2y - x= -5
e) 1/2x - y=8, x + 1/3y= 2
f) 5 + y= 4x, x + 2= 2/3y

I understand the formula of y=mx+b, m being the slope and b being the y-intercept. But everytime I try to solve these problems, my answer is different than the one in the book.

I figured I should change each of the equations from standard form to y=mx+b format.

For example a)
x+y=4
y=-x+4

x-2y=1
-2y=-x+1
y=1/2x -1/2

Am I doing something wrong? Because, when I try to draw it out on a graph my answer ends up being something weird like (2 1/3, 3/4).

Also is there any other way I can pind the POI without drawing a graph?

I need this for my exams...so please...help?

Physics news on Phys.org
One suggestion for the graphical method in item (a) is use axes intercept feature of the equations since they are given in the standard form. What is x when y is zero; what is y when x is zero. Do this for both equations and draw each line.

For your symbolic algebraic method, you took a good approach by find y of both equations and then equating them.

(1/2)x-(1/2) = -x+4
Results in (check for mistakes?) x=3, and then y=...

I undestand now.

Thank you very much for your help. ^___^

.hacker//Kazu said:
The question asks that I : Find the point of intersection for each pair of lines.

a) x + y= 4, x - 2y=1
b) x + 2y= 0, x - y= 3
c) 2x + y= 1, x + y= 2
d) 6x= 12 - 3y, 1/2y - x= -5
e) 1/2x - y=8, x + 1/3y= 2
f) 5 + y= 4x, x + 2= 2/3y

I understand the formula of y=mx+b, m being the slope and b being the y-intercept. But everytime I try to solve these problems, my answer is different than the one in the book.

I figured I should change each of the equations from standard form to y=mx+b format.

For example a)
x+y=4
y=-x+4

x-2y=1
-2y=-x+1
y=1/2x -1/2

Am I doing something wrong? Because, when I try to draw it out on a graph my answer ends up being something weird like (2 1/3, 3/4).

Also is there any other way I can find the POI without drawing a graph?
Of course there is. At the point, (x,y), where the two lines intersect, x and y must satisfy both equations. After you know, from the first equation, that y= -x+ 4, and, from the second that y= (1/2)x- 1/2, you know those two y values are the same thing: -x+ 4= (1/2)x- 1/2. Multiply both sides by 2: -2x+ 8= x- 1. Add 2x and 1 to both sides: 9= 3x so x= 9/3= 3. Then y= -3+ 4= 1. Notice that after you divided by 2 to find y in the second equation, I suggested that you immediately multiply by 2! After getting y= -x+ 4, you can just replace the "y" in x- 2y= 1 by that: x- 2(-x+ 4)= 1 so x+ 2x-8= 1. Now 3x-8= 1 so 3x= 9 again. As far as your graph is concerned, you should have used larger space. For example, after you saw that the intersection was around (2 1/3, 3/4), you might have drawn a new graph, just between, say x= 2 and x= 3, y= 0 and y= 1.

I need this for my exams...so please...help?
Why would you need this for exams? If they never taught you to solve two equations except by graphing them, why not just do it that way?

They did teach me. I just never really understood me. But I do now, so thanks for your troubles. :D

I am in Grade 9, and not neccesarily the most qualified to teach you anything, but I created a simpler equation a few days ago in math class than making the equations equal.
First, you are going to solve for the x-coordinate of the P.O.I.
To do this, use this formula: x= "d" divided by "S", with d being equal to B1 - B 2. "S" is equal to the difference in slope, using M2 subtract M1. This should give you the x coordinate for your P.O.I.

ex. y= 8x+18 d would equal 18, (18-0)
y= 10x S would equal 2, (10-8)
x= d divided by S
= 18 divided by two
= 9

Therefore, your x value would be 9. Then you just substitute in the x value in either equation, then calculate to find P.O.I.

ex. y= 10x
= 10(9)
= 90 Your coordinate would be (10, 90)

Checking with other equation:

y`= 8x + 18
= 8(9) + 18
= 72+ 18
= 90 Again, the y value comes out as 90, so the POI must be 10, 90

I know this is somewhat outdated, by the way.

What is a point of intersection?

A point of intersection is a location where two or more lines, curves, or surfaces meet. In mathematics, it refers to the coordinates that are common to two or more equations or graphs.

How can I find the point of intersection?

The point of intersection can be found by solving the equations or graphing the lines, curves, or surfaces to see where they intersect. In some cases, it may also be possible to use algebraic methods such as substitution or elimination to find the coordinates of the point of intersection.

What does a point of intersection represent?

In mathematics, a point of intersection represents a solution to a system of equations or the common solution to two or more functions. It also indicates the point or location where two or more objects meet or cross paths.

Can there be more than one point of intersection?

Yes, there can be more than one point of intersection. This occurs when two or more lines, curves, or surfaces intersect at different locations. In some cases, there may be an infinite number of points of intersection.

What is the significance of a point of intersection in real life?

A point of intersection has many real-life applications, such as determining the solution to a system of equations in business or engineering problems. It can also be used to find the location where two roads, rivers, or other physical objects meet. Additionally, points of intersection can represent the intersection of different ideas or concepts, leading to new discoveries or innovations.