Find 3rd Point of Right Angled Triangle

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the coordinates of a third point in a right angled triangle using the length of the sides and the positions of two points. The participants suggest using vector geometry or line-equation algebra to solve the problem. One person has figured out a way to find the x value of the point, but is struggling to find the y value. They are seeking help in finding the correct y value using the distance formula.
peader
OK I have right angled triangle, I no the length of the 3 sides. and the position
of two of the points but i want to be able to figure where the 3rd point is. I
attached a rough sort of diagram so u no wot I'm talkin about. I 'm sure there
is enuf info there to find the point but i just can't get my head round it

Lenght of sides 13, 9 and SQROOT of 13^2 + 9^2 = 16(roughly)
Points = Bottom -> (273,541)
Top -> (273,525)

http://studentweb.itsligo.ie/business/kcomp_b4/s00001829/angles.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to decompose vectors into components?

- Warren

I don't know wot that is??
Could u explain?

A vector is a directed line segment -- a distance and a direction.

The components of a vector [itex]\vec u[/itex] on a plane are [itex](l \cos \theta, l \sin \theta)[/itex] where [itex]l[/itex] is the magnitude of the vector.

If you don't know how to use vectors, I'm afraid I won't have much luck helping you understand how to solve this problem. I can't think of an easier way to do it, but I'm a little tired right now.

- Warren

Ok that's sound no i don't understand vectors. I'm actually programming it so i mite be able to work another way around it

Your model still allows for two possible points. If only two of the points are fixed, then the third can be as you showed in the diagram or it could be reflected across the line described by the two points.

That being said, you could probably figure it out using slopes. Describe the slopes in terms of the points and stipulate that the slopes satisfy the equation m1m2 = -1.

cookiemonster

I was thinkin i could work it out by gettibg the area and then workin backwards to the answer but i will still have two unknowns so i don't think that will work properlt

Two unknowns? You're going to get two solutions, but you should have only a single unknown.

cookiemonster

Well, I really do only see two ways to do this: vector geometry or plain ol' line-equation algebra.

If you have only this one problem to solve, we can give you the solution -- but if you need to write code to solve any triangle like this, you're going to need to bone up on some math. It's pretty tough to write code to do something you don't know how to do by hand.

- Warren

Two solutions that's what i meant, same as.

No i need to write code as of now i just have to solution(point) hard coded into it. I want to be able to work this out so as the triangle can be of any size. I vaucly recall doing vector geometry in skul so i'll have a look at that and see if i can recall how it works

OK i have figured out a way of gettin the x value of the point that i want(see original post), I just got the length of the line between that point and the Hypot. side. I did this by using the hypotneuse as the base and this line as the perpindicular height so now that I have the X value. I think by using the distance formula i should be able to work out Y. Would I be right in assuming this, the only problem is it should return two values for Y the bother is the only Y value I can get is the one that I don't want. Could someone please help, Thanks

1. What is a right angled triangle?

A right angled triangle is a triangle with one angle measuring exactly 90 degrees. This angle is called the "right angle" and is formed by the intersection of the two shorter sides of the triangle.

2. How do you find the 3rd point of a right angled triangle?

In order to find the 3rd point of a right angled triangle, you need to know the lengths of two of its sides. Using the Pythagorean theorem (a^2 + b^2 = c^2), you can calculate the length of the third side, also known as the hypotenuse. Once you have this length, you can use it to plot the coordinates of the 3rd point.

3. Can the 3rd point of a right angled triangle be located outside of the triangle?

No, the 3rd point of a right angled triangle will always be located within the triangle. This is because the hypotenuse, or the longest side, is always opposite the right angle and therefore must be shorter than the sum of the other two sides.

4. Is there a formula for finding the 3rd point of a right angled triangle?

Yes, the formula for finding the 3rd point of a right angled triangle is (x,y) = (a,b) + (-b,a), where (a,b) are the coordinates of one of the known points and x and y are the coordinates of the 3rd point.

5. Can the 3rd point of a right angled triangle be calculated without knowing the lengths of two sides?

No, in order to calculate the 3rd point of a right angled triangle, you need to know the lengths of two of its sides. Without this information, it is not possible to accurately determine the coordinates of the 3rd point.