Finding the Value of axb on the Unit Circle | Round to the Nearest Thousandths

In summary, the point (log a, log b) exists on the unit circle and we are asked to find the value of axb, rounded to the nearest thousandths. By substituting x=log a, y=log b, and v=log (ab), we can see that the problem is equivalent to finding the value of x+y given that x2+y2=1. However, there are infinitely many solutions to this problem, as it depends on the values of a and b. Therefore, we cannot determine a single, unique value for axb.
dfklajsdfald

Homework Statement

the point (log a, log b) exists on the unit circle. find the value of axb. round to the nearest thousandths.

Homework Equations

x2 + y2 = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

x2+y2 = 1
loga2+logb2 =1
2loga+2logb = 1
2(loga+logb) = 1
loga + log b = 0.5
logb = 0.5−loga
now i try and subsitute logb in
loga2+(0.5−loga)2 = 1

when i did this it wouldn't work after the last step. so this is what i tried next

(loga)2 + (log b)2 = 1
loga = √1-(logb)2

then i did

(√1-(logb)2)2 + (logb)2 = 1
1-(logb)2 = 1-(log b)4
-(logb)2 + (logb)4 = 0
factored out (logb)2 so i got
1 = logb
and 101 = b so b = 10 but I am not sure if that's right either because it seems iffy to me
i think i was on the right track with the first one but idk can someone help please

Physics news on Phys.org
dfklajsdfald said:
the point (log a, log b) exists on the unit circle. find the value of axb. round to the nearest thousandths.
That makes no sense. There are infinitely many solutions.
E.g. a=1, b=e gives e;
ab=1 gives 1;
a=b gives e√2.
Please check you have stated the question exactly.

nope i just checked the question and what i said is exactly what's written. it says: the point (log a, log b) exists on the unit circle. find the value of a times b. round to the nearest thousandth

dfklajsdfald said:
nope i just checked the question and what i said is exactly what's written. it says: the point (log a, log b) exists on the unit circle. find the value of a times b. round to the nearest thousandth
I just noticed you were assuming log base 10, whereas I assumed natural logs, but my answer applies whatever the base. It is more obvious if we substitute x=log a, y= log b, v=log (ab). Let the base be c. ab=cxcy=cx+y, so v=x+y. So it is the same as asking for the value of x+y given that x2+y2=1.

dfklajsdfald said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

x2 + y2 = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

x2+y2 = 1
loga2+logb2 =1
2loga+2logb = 1
No.
The second equation is ##(\log(a))^2 + (\log(b))^2 = 1##. This is not the same as ##\log(a^2) + \log(b)^2 = 1##.
dfklajsdfald said:
2(loga+logb) = 1
loga + log b = 0.5
logb = 0.5−loga
now i try and subsitute logb in
loga2+(0.5−loga)2 = 1

when i did this it wouldn't work after the last step. so this is what i tried next

(loga)2 + (log b)2 = 1
loga = √1-(logb)2

then i did

(√1-(logb)2)2 + (logb)2 = 1
1-(logb)2 = 1-(log b)4
-(logb)2 + (logb)4 = 0
factored out (logb)2 so i got
1 = logb
and 101 = b so b = 10 but I am not sure if that's right either because it seems iffy to me
i think i was on the right track with the first one but idk can someone help please

Likes agargento

What is a point on a unit circle?

A point on a unit circle is a point that lies on the circumference of a circle with a radius of 1. This circle is known as a unit circle because it has a radius of 1 unit.

Why is the unit circle important?

The unit circle is important because it is used to easily calculate trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. It also serves as a visual representation of the relationship between the trigonometric functions and the coordinates of a point on the circle.

How do you find the coordinates of a point on a unit circle?

The coordinates of a point on a unit circle can be found by using the trigonometric ratios. The x-coordinate is equal to the cosine of the angle, while the y-coordinate is equal to the sine of the angle.

What are the special properties of a point on a unit circle?

A point on a unit circle has two special properties: its distance from the origin is always equal to 1, and its coordinates are related to the angle formed by the point, the origin, and the positive x-axis.

How is the unit circle related to radians and degrees?

The unit circle is often used to convert between radians and degrees. One radian is equal to the angle formed by the arc of a circle with a length equal to its radius, which in this case is equal to the radius of the unit circle. Therefore, the unit circle can be used to easily convert between radians and degrees.