1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Point set topology, hoemomorphism related questiosns

1. Sep 13, 2012 #1
    Hello

I am having difficulties in solving the following two questions.

1) For the first question, the author of the text states that if f:[a,b]-->R is a map, then Im f is a closed, bounded interval.

Question: Let X be subset of R, and X is the union of the open intervals (3n, 3n+1) and the points 3n+2, for n= 0,1,2,...
    Let Y=(X-{2}) union {2}. Prove that there are continuous bijections f:X--->Y, g:Y--->X, but that X, Y are not homeomorphic.

I can create the bijection from X to Y, and Y to X.

From X to Y, I would map {2} to {1} and everything else gets map to itself, so I get both injective and surjective mapping.
    From the Y to X direction, i would just map {1} to {2} and everything else gets map to itself. I get again a bijective mapping
    But how do I show that the maps from X to Y and also from Y to X are both continuous.
    X is composed of open intervals and singletons, likewise for the set Y.
    Am I suppose to impose some sort of topology on X and Y and then described a basis elements. Also, why is the set Im f and Im g not counded or closed?

For the second problem:

Construct the homeomorphism f:[0,1]x[0,1]--->[0,1]x[0,1]
    such that f maps [0,1]x{0,1} union {0}x[0,1] onto {0}x[0,1].

My difficulties with this question are several

first: Am i to interpret [0,1]x{0,1} union {0}x[0,1] to mean
    ([0,1]x{0,1}) union ({0}x[0,1]). If so then ([0,1]x{0,1}) union ({0}x[0,1])
    is a subset of ({0,1] union (0})x({0,1} union [0,1]). By property of cartesian product. I am not sure how to proceed from here onwards.

Thank you in advance

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?