Point Set Topology: Why A={1/n:n is Counting Number} is Not a Closed Set?

In summary, the set A={1/n:n is counting number} is not a closed set because it does not contain all its boundary points, specifically the limit point 0. This contradicts the definition of a closed set, which states that all boundary points must be included in the set. Additionally, A does not contain any cluster points, further showing that it is not a closed set.
kimkibun
Why is it that the set A={1/n:n is counting number} is not a closed set?

We see that no matter how small our ε is, ε-neighborhood will always contain a point not in A (one reason is that Q* is dense in ℝ), thus, all the elements in A is boundary point, and we know that by definition, if bd(A)≤A, then A is closed (this is what Steven R. Lay used in his book). (≤-subset). A good friend of mine told me that A does not contain cluster point and that made A not a closed set, he said (and i know) that closed set always contain cluster points. is this some sort of contradiction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure, all points in A are boundary points. This means that [itex]A\subseteq bd(A)[/itex]. What you want is the reverse inclusion! So you have to show that all boundary points are exactly in A. This is not true here, there is a boundary point of A that is not in A.

kimkibun said:
Why is it that the set A={1/n:n is counting number} is not a closed set?

We see that no matter how small our ε is, ε-neighborhood will always contain a point not in A (one reason is that Q* is dense in ℝ), thus, all the elements in A is boundary point, and we know that by definition, if bd(A)≤A, then A is closed (this is what Steven R. Lay used in his book). (≤-subset). A good friend of mine told me that A does not contain cluster point and that made A not a closed set, he said (and i know) that closed set always contain cluster points. is this some sort of contradiction?

Re the cluster points, it is true that a closed set contains all its cluster points. Maybe your friend was referring to your set A: does it contain all its cluster points?

As micromass said, the fact that all points in A are boundary points is irrelevant. In order to be closed, all boundary points must be in A. Since this is a sequence of points converging to 0, 0 is as boundary point but is not in A. That is what your friend was saying.

The set 1/n (n = 1,2,...) doesn't contain any limit points (can you see why?), but it certainly has a limit point (can you see what the limit point is?) and so from the definition we see that this set is not closed.

1. What is Point Set Topology?

Point Set Topology is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of topological spaces, which are mathematical structures that describe the properties of objects such as points, lines, and surfaces. It is a fundamental tool used in many areas of mathematics, including analysis, geometry, and algebraic topology.

2. Why is A={1/n:n is Counting Number} not a closed set?

A set is considered closed if it contains all of its limit points. In this case, A contains all of its limit points except for 0, which is a limit point but not an element of A. Therefore, A is not a closed set.

3. What is the significance of A={1/n:n is Counting Number} in Point Set Topology?

The set A={1/n:n is Counting Number} is a classic example used in Point Set Topology to illustrate the concept of closed sets. It helps to demonstrate that a set can be open, closed, or neither, and that being closed is not equivalent to being the complement of an open set.

4. Can a set be both open and closed?

Yes, a set can be both open and closed. For example, in the set of real numbers, the empty set and the entire set are both open and closed. In general, in a topological space, the empty set and the entire set are always both open and closed.

5. How is the concept of closed sets related to other topological concepts?

The concept of closed sets is closely related to other topological concepts such as interior, closure, and boundary. A set is closed if and only if it contains its boundary, and its closure is equal to its union with its boundary. Closed sets are also related to the concepts of compactness and connectedness in topological spaces.