Is there a more efficient way to use member functions with GSL routines in C++?

In summary, this person is trying to figure out a way to avoid making small wrapper functions that take a void pointer as input, but is having trouble because class member functions and normal functions have different calling conventions.
Wallace
Science Advisor
I'm even sure I'm using the correct terminology, but I'm hoping someone can help me with a common problem I encounter.

I frequently use the Gnu Science Libraries (GSL) in my C++ code to do various numerical grunt work. Commonly I need to provide a pointer to a function for a GSL routine to work (e.g. pointer to a function that GSL will find the minimum of for instance). Now, often the function I'm interested in is a member function of some object. But I can't provide a pointer to that, since the pointer to a member function is not the same as a pointer to a function.

Instead, I restort to making small wrapper functions that take a void pointer as the input, and send the relevant object to the class using the 'this' keyword. This way the function can access the members of that object (I make this function a friend of the relevant class).

These little wrapper functions are annoying though, since because they are free standing I have to make sure I use unique names, which can be annoying when re-using code and for big projeccts.

What I'd like to know is whether there is a better way to do this, for instance can you somehow cast the pointer to the member function to be a pointer to a function and just send that to the GSL routines? Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, I 'learned' C++ in a very ad hoc way, so I get the terminology mixed up sometimes.

Technology news on Phys.org
Even if you were to cast the pointer to the member into the pointer to a normal function successfully (using reinterpret_cast or some such contraption), things wouldn't work well, because class member functions and normal functions have different calling conventions, and GSL wouldn't know to pass "this" pointer to your function.

You can pass a pointer to a static class member, that's almost the same as making a wrapper, but a bit neater.

Thanks, perfect solution!

1. What is a pointer to a member function?

A pointer to a member function is a variable that stores the memory address of a member function of a class. It allows for indirect access to the member function, meaning it can be called without specifying the class object or using the dot operator.

2. How do you declare a pointer to a member function?

A pointer to a member function is declared using the syntax: return_type (class_name::*pointer_name)(parameter_types). The class name is followed by the scope resolution operator (::) and the asterisk (*) denotes that it is a pointer. The parameter types must match the member function's parameters.

3. How do you assign a member function to a pointer to a member function?

A member function can be assigned to a pointer to a member function using the address-of operator (&) and the function name. For example, if the pointer is called ptr and the function is called myFunction, the assignment would be ptr = &class_name::myFunction.

4. How do you call a member function using a pointer to a member function?

When calling a member function using a pointer to a member function, the arrow operator (->) is used instead of the dot operator. For example, if the pointer is called ptr and the function is called myFunction, the call would be ptr->myFunction().

5. How are pointers to member functions useful?

Pointers to member functions are useful for implementing callback functions, where a function is passed as an argument to another function and is called at a later time. They are also useful in design patterns such as the Command Pattern, where a pointer to a member function is used to encapsulate a request as an object. This allows for flexibility and extensibility in code.