Pointing with the middle finger

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, this person sees people pointing with their middle finger quite often, and finds it conspicuous. They think it has a bad meaning only in western countries, and that the "OK" sign is also rude in Germany.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I notice from time to time that, rather than their index finger, some people use their middle finger as a pointer. Whenever I see this, I can't help but think "Doesn't that guy know that he is flipping the bird at everyone?".

I always wonder how anyone could not realize how this looks.

I notice it in old movies and TV programs as well. I tend to assume that the film predates the modern use of "the bird", but really I don't know when the bird came to be.

Likes timmeister37
Physics news on Phys.org
Sometimes my professor does that to me...:cry:

A lot of people from the middle east point with their middle fingers.

I always wonder how anyone could not realize how this looks.

Probably because it doesn't really look bad. Unless your directly giving someone the finger, hardly anyone thinks: is that guy flipping me off?

Last edited:
Cyrus said:
A lot of people from the middle east point with their middle fingers.

Probably because it doesn't really look bad. Unless your directly giving someone the finger, hardly anyone thinks: is that guy flipping me off?

It jumps off the page for me every time. I don't think it is subject to false interpretations, but it is conspicuous.

Course some people from the ME probably notice people showing the bottom of their feet or shoes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finger_(gesture [Broken])

talks about the origin of meaning of middle finger. It has bad meaning only in western countries.

It says showing a thumbs-up sign in Iran is equivalent to the middle finger in the western countries :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thumbs up also USED to be a rude gesture in Australia (not anymore).
Also, the "OK" sign is (thumb-index finger) is still considered to be a very rude gesture in Germany.
The meaning of gestures can vary quite a lot between countries/areas, not only between cultures.

28947398_6ee999f975.jpg

I see you germany!

Ivan Seeking said:
I notice from time to time that, rather than their index finger, some people use their middle finger as a pointer. Whenever I see this, I can't help but think "Doesn't that guy know that he is flipping the bird at everyone?".
I'm not sure I've seen someone point this way. Are we talking palm up or palm down?

If palm up it would look rude (though I can't imagine how one might point at something this way, unless they were directing your attention to something on the building overhead or under the chassis of their car), if palm down that would be a weird way of pointing.

DaveC426913 said:
I'm not sure I've seen someone point this way. Are we talking palm up or palm down?

If palm up it would look rude (though I can't imagine how one might point at something this way, unless they were directing your attention to something on the building overhead or under the chassis of their car), if palm down that would be a weird way of pointing.
I've seen people do this, and it is palm down. Like Ivan, it is something that you just can't miss wondering (if it is a Westerner doing it) how they don't realize the significance.

I got detention in middle school long long ago for doing that. Been very careful about how I point from then on.

George_Bush_Middle_Finger.jpg

http://a.236.com/images/photo2/7053/thumbs/MIDDLEFINGAZZZZ_s1-274.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
My middle school math teacher used to do this.

jobyts said:
It has bad meaning only in western countries.
Pretty much only in America, in the UK it's two fingers.

mgb_phys said:
Pretty much only in America, in the UK it's two fingers.
Now this gesture I've seen. And I've always been sure that the two-fingered gesture is simply the more "polite" modification of the one-fingered gesture.
i.e. one-finger is to two-fingers as h*ll is to heck, and d*mn is to darn. But everyone knows what you're sayin'.

DaveC426913 said:
And I've always been sure that the two-fingered gesture is simply the more "polite" modification of the one-fingered gesture.
I thought the one finger one was used by Americans because it's shorter and easier to spell:wink:

Well, the middle finger is longer so it is easier to point with. Do they point with a fist and only the middle finger pointing out? That would look weird. If all the fingers are extended I think it is fine.

Monique said:
Well, the middle finger is longer so it is easier to point with.
Really? Not in my books it ain't. I find it actually rather difficult to point effectively with the middle finger, whereas it is quite natural to point with the ... well .. the pointing finger.

I saw someone use their tongue to point last week...I think I prefer the finger.

WhoWee said:
I saw someone use their tongue to point last week...I think I prefer the finger.
As far as substitutes for pointing fingers goes, it could have been worse. Muuuch worse.

DaveC426913 said:
Really? Not in my books it ain't. I find it actually rather difficult to point effectively with the middle finger...

Practice Makes Perfect... :)

My dad always points on maps with his middle finger, for what reason I do not know.

binzing said:
My dad always points on maps with his middle finger, for what reason I do not know.

Maybe he really hates maps.

Is he pointing at Washington?

WhoWee said:
Is he pointing at Washington?

I'm a washingtonian. Them's fighting words. :grumpy:

lisab said:
Maybe he really hates maps.

Haha, I don't think so, with his road warrior and backpacker background.

Cyrus said:
I'm a washingtonian. Them's fighting words. :grumpy:
Bah. What're you going to do? You've been squished by a colossal middle finger.

Cyrus said:
I'm a washingtonian.

I'm a Washingtonian, too! But I'm the kind who gets a vote in congress :tongue2: .

lisab said:
I'm a Washingtonian, too! But I'm the kind who gets a vote in congress :tongue2: .
Squished!

lisab said:

Did you grow up in the DC area?

DaveC426913 said:
Bah. What're you going to do? You've been squished by a colossal middle finger.

Ok, no bail outs for the wise guy.

Cyrus said:
Did you grow up in the DC area?

No, I live in beautiful Washington State :smile:.

lisab said:
No, I live in beautiful Washington State :smile:.

Ugh, how dare you call yourself a washingtonian!

You're a washingtonstateonian...

Cyrus said:
Ugh, how dare you call yourself a washingtonian!

You're a washingtonstateonian...

Duh, the State always takes precedence over Districts. Lisab is a Washingtonian, and you are a Columbian.

...and I was pointing at you with my middle finger when I thought about it.

DaveC426913 said:
Really? Not in my books it ain't. I find it actually rather difficult to point effectively with the middle finger, whereas it is quite natural to point with the ... well .. the pointing finger.

I agree. Even anatomically speaking, there's more independent extensor muscles of the index finger than middle finger. It doesn't even feel right to try pointing with that finger. I wonder if the people doing it started it as a kid to "get away" with giving people the finger, and it formed into a habit they no longer realize they're doing?

jobyts said:
It says showing a thumbs-up sign in Iran is equivalent to the middle finger in the western countries :)

obamaleadersPA_450x300.jpg

...US President Barack Obama, Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, and Russian President Dmitry Medvedev joked before the meeting and gave cameras the thumbs up...
http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?Obamas_thumbs_up_to_G20_summit&in_article_id=607245&in_page_id=34

Whoops! ...or was it? My new buddy, Dmitry?

<h2>1. Why is pointing with the middle finger considered offensive?</h2><p>Pointing with the middle finger is considered offensive because it is commonly known as the "middle finger salute" or the "bird", and is often used as a vulgar gesture to express anger, defiance, or disrespect towards someone.</p><h2>2. Where did the act of pointing with the middle finger originate?</h2><p>The act of pointing with the middle finger as an offensive gesture is believed to have originated in ancient Greece, where it was used as a symbol of phallic imagery and was seen as a way to insult and humiliate others.</p><h2>3. Is pointing with the middle finger considered offensive in all cultures?</h2><p>No, the middle finger gesture is not universally offensive in all cultures. In some countries, it may have different meanings or may not be considered offensive at all. It is important to be aware of cultural differences and norms when using gestures like pointing with the middle finger.</p><h2>4. Can pointing with the middle finger have any other meanings?</h2><p>Yes, in some contexts, pointing with the middle finger can also be used as a non-verbal way to indicate that someone is the best or the winner, similar to giving a thumbs up. However, this is not a common usage and the gesture is still generally seen as offensive.</p><h2>5. What are some alternatives to pointing with the middle finger?</h2><p>Instead of using the middle finger gesture, it is always better to use polite and respectful ways to communicate, such as using words or other hand gestures like pointing with the index finger. It is important to remember that actions and gestures can have different meanings and connotations, so it is best to be mindful and considerate of others when communicating non-verbally.</p>

1. Why is pointing with the middle finger considered offensive?

Pointing with the middle finger is considered offensive because it is commonly known as the "middle finger salute" or the "bird", and is often used as a vulgar gesture to express anger, defiance, or disrespect towards someone.

2. Where did the act of pointing with the middle finger originate?

The act of pointing with the middle finger as an offensive gesture is believed to have originated in ancient Greece, where it was used as a symbol of phallic imagery and was seen as a way to insult and humiliate others.

3. Is pointing with the middle finger considered offensive in all cultures?

No, the middle finger gesture is not universally offensive in all cultures. In some countries, it may have different meanings or may not be considered offensive at all. It is important to be aware of cultural differences and norms when using gestures like pointing with the middle finger.

4. Can pointing with the middle finger have any other meanings?

Yes, in some contexts, pointing with the middle finger can also be used as a non-verbal way to indicate that someone is the best or the winner, similar to giving a thumbs up. However, this is not a common usage and the gesture is still generally seen as offensive.

5. What are some alternatives to pointing with the middle finger?

Instead of using the middle finger gesture, it is always better to use polite and respectful ways to communicate, such as using words or other hand gestures like pointing with the index finger. It is important to remember that actions and gestures can have different meanings and connotations, so it is best to be mindful and considerate of others when communicating non-verbally.