Solving Sample 2 of Points in a Plane Homework

In summary, the student is trying to figure out a way to connect all of the red and blue points without having them intersect.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

http://math.stanford.edu/~vakil/putnam07/07putnam5.pdf

I am having trouble with Sample 2.

I am trying a proof by induction (the case n = 1,2 are easy). So if it is true for n=k and you have k+1 of each colors, you can take out any red-blue pair and get the desired line segments for the remaining ones.

So somehow I need to show that we can find a pair to take out that will not intersect the line segments drawn between any of the other ones.

So, can we just take the red point with the largest y coordinate and the blue point with the largest y coordinates?

Hmmm...that seems like it would work.

EDIT: on second thought, I do not think that will work because you could have something like this

red
red
blue
blue

EDIT 2: It isn't showing the spaces. Does anyone know why?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the definition of non-intersecting?

What if red --- red --- blue --- blue? Then one intersects the other at half of all points (at least).

Each of the line segments has one red endpoint and one blue endpoint. So your diagram is wrong.

Suppose all the points lie on the x-axis: the red points are located on the right side of the origin and the blue points on the left. How do you go about drawing line segments between the red points and the blue points without having them intersect?

Connect all of the adjacent red and blue points. Then pretend all the red and blue points you just connected are not there, and again connect the adjacent red and blue points. This is always possible because the arc you use to connect adjacent red and blue points does not "block" any unconnected points.

So, if all of the points are not on the x-axis, you would want to connect the points in such a way that the sum of the lengths of the n line segments is minimized. No two line segments could intersect or else you could use the triangle inequality to show that switching the blue or red endpoints of those line segments would get you two shorter line segments.

Right?

Last edited:
ehrenfest said:
Connect all of the adjacent red and blue points. Then pretend all the red and blue points you just connected are not there, and again connect the adjacent red and blue points. This is always possible because the arc you use to connect adjacent red and blue points does not "block" any unconnected points.
But it does block them when they're connected. If you can pretend that a red-blue segment isn't there, then why not pretend that intersecting segments don't intersect.

That just means determine which of the unconnected red and blue points are adjacent. When you draw a line between these points you can always draw an arc over the connected points between them. Does that make sense.

So you're saying that the line segments can be curves? That would make much more sense.

Oh. That's true. So, I guess the author of the problem should have stated that no three of the points are collinear.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of solving sample 2 of points in a plane homework?

The purpose of solving sample 2 of points in a plane homework is to practice and demonstrate understanding of geometric concepts and skills related to points, lines, and planes in two-dimensional space.

2. What topics are covered in sample 2 of points in a plane homework?

Sample 2 of points in a plane homework typically covers topics such as distance and midpoint formulas, slope and equations of lines, and geometric proofs involving points, lines, and planes.

3. How can I approach solving sample 2 of points in a plane homework effectively?

To effectively solve sample 2 of points in a plane homework, it is important to understand the underlying concepts and formulas, read the problem carefully, and break down the problem into smaller, manageable steps. It may also be helpful to draw diagrams or use visual aids to better understand the problem.

4. What resources can I use to help me solve sample 2 of points in a plane homework?

There are several resources that can aid in solving sample 2 of points in a plane homework, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. You can also seek help from a teacher or tutor if you are struggling with a specific concept or problem.

5. How can I check my work when solving sample 2 of points in a plane homework?

You can check your work by verifying that your solutions are mathematically correct and by double-checking your work for any errors. It can also be helpful to compare your solutions with those provided in the answer key or by a teacher or tutor. Additionally, you can use online tools or graphing software to check your answers graphically.