Points of concurrency and sets of parallel lines

In summary, there are three types of points of concurrency in a triangle: the incenter, circumcenter, and centroid. To determine if three lines are parallel, you can use the slope-intercept form and check if they have the same slope. The formula for finding the distance between two parallel lines is the distance formula. Three lines cannot be concurrent and parallel at the same time. Sets of parallel lines have various real-life applications, such as in architecture, transportation, and mathematics.
cstellar
My question is mainly concerned with discovering the allowable set of "configurations" of the given problem:

We have a two-dimensional board composed of three sets (of infinite size) of parallel lines \P_1, \P_2, \P_3, where the lines in \P_2 form a 60 degree angle with lines in \P_3 and \P_1, and lines in \P_1 and \P_3 are 120 degrees apart. Furthermore, any point of intersection of any two sets \P_i, \P_j has a unique line from \P_k intersecting it. Thus, our set of points of intersection are each composed exactly of three lines: one from each set.

For a visualization of the board (choose any empty hexagon cell and the three lines on which it lies are each from the different sets I described. Each empty hexagon cell is a point of intersection):
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...GrfT6-qM8Sa1AWKlsz5Cg&ved=0CHAQ9QEwAQ&dur=342

My question is the following: which are the impossible configurations of this board, in terms of specifying a set of intersections? To illustrate the question, consider the following example:

We will refer to a point of intersection as (i,j,k) where i is a line in P_1, j is a line in P_2 and k in P_3. Note that (i,j,k) is unique for every point.

I give the following set of points:

(i, i, i), (j, j, j), (k, k, k), (i, j, k), (j, k, i), (k, i, j), (i, k, j). This works out fine. However, when I add the following point (k, j, i) as a constraint, it appears impossible to interpret it on that board. This appears to be the case no matter what i, j, k are.

Do you have any idea what are the pathological cases (such as in the example), is there any theorem, paper that discusses the problem I have described?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question regarding the possible configurations of the given problem. I would approach this question by first understanding the basic principles of the problem and then using mathematical methods to explore the various configurations.

From the given description, it seems that the board is composed of three sets of parallel lines, with specific angles between them, and each point of intersection must have a unique line from each set passing through it. This means that the board is essentially a tessellation of hexagons, with each hexagon representing a point of intersection.

To answer your question about impossible configurations, we can use mathematical methods such as geometry and graph theory to explore the possible combinations of lines and their intersections. One approach would be to create a graph representation of the board, with each point of intersection as a vertex and each line as an edge connecting the vertices. This would allow us to analyze the connectivity and possible paths between different points.

In your example, you have added the point (k, j, i) as a constraint and found it to be impossible to interpret on the board. This could be due to a violation of the unique line rule, where the point (k, j, i) may already have a line from set \P_k and \P_j intersecting it, making it impossible for a line from set \P_i to also pass through it. This is just one possible explanation and further analysis would be needed to confirm it.

In terms of existing literature on this problem, I suggest looking into graph theory and tessellations to find relevant research on similar problems. Additionally, you may also find relevant information in the field of geometry and its applications.

I hope this helps in your exploration of the possible configurations of the given problem. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

1. What are the three types of points of concurrency in a triangle?

The three types of points of concurrency in a triangle are the incenter, circumcenter, and centroid. The incenter is the point where all three angle bisectors intersect, the circumcenter is the point where all three perpendicular bisectors intersect, and the centroid is the point where all three medians intersect.

2. How can you determine if three lines are parallel?

Three lines are parallel if they never intersect, even when extended infinitely. One way to determine if three lines are parallel is by using the slope-intercept form of a line and checking if all three lines have the same slope. If they do, then they are parallel.

3. What is the formula for finding the distance between two parallel lines?

The formula for finding the distance between two parallel lines is the distance formula, which is d = |ax + by + c| / √(a^2 + b^2), where a and b are the coefficients of the x and y terms in the equations of the two parallel lines, and c is the constant term.

4. Can three lines be concurrent and parallel?

No, three lines cannot be concurrent and parallel at the same time. Concurrency means that three or more lines intersect at one point, while parallel means that two or more lines never intersect. These two concepts are contradictory, so three lines cannot be concurrent and parallel simultaneously.

5. How can sets of parallel lines be used in real-life applications?

Sets of parallel lines are commonly used in architecture and engineering to create structures that are stable and aesthetically pleasing. They are also used in transportation systems, such as highways and railways, to ensure that the paths of vehicles or trains do not intersect. In mathematics and geometry, parallel lines are used to prove theorems and solve problems related to angles, triangles, and polygons.