Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Points of concurrency and sets of parallel lines

1. Jun 18, 2012 #1
    My question is mainly concerned with discovering the allowable set of "configurations" of the given problem:

We have a two-dimensional board composed of three sets (of infinite size) of parallel lines \P_1, \P_2, \P_3, where the lines in \P_2 form a 60 degree angle with lines in \P_3 and \P_1, and lines in \P_1 and \P_3 are 120 degrees apart. Furthermore, any point of intersection of any two sets \P_i, \P_j has a unique line from \P_k intersecting it. Thus, our set of points of intersection are each composed exactly of three lines: one from each set.

For a visualization of the board (choose any empty hexagon cell and the three lines on which it lies are each from the different sets I described. Each empty hexagon cell is a point of intersection):
    http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...GrfT6-qM8Sa1AWKlsz5Cg&ved=0CHAQ9QEwAQ&dur=342

My question is the following: which are the impossible configurations of this board, in terms of specifying a set of intersections? To illustrate the question, consider the following example:

We will refer to a point of intersection as (i,j,k) where i is a line in P_1, j is a line in P_2 and k in P_3. Note that (i,j,k) is unique for every point.

I give the following set of points:

(i, i, i), (j, j, j), (k, k, k), (i, j, k), (j, k, i), (k, i, j), (i, k, j). This works out fine. However, when I add the following point (k, j, i) as a constraint, it appears impossible to interpret it on that board. This appears to be the case no matter what i, j, k are.

Do you have any idea what are the pathological cases (such as in the example), is there any theorem, paper that discusses the problem I have described?

Thank you.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted