1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Points on a 3D vector

1. Aug 3, 2009 #1
    I'm trying to find the simplest way to locate points on a 3D vector.

I have 2 points (a,b,c) (d,e,f) which define a 3D vector. I know the midpoint between those points. [(a,b,c)+(d,e,f)]/2

I have a linear "object" with a known length L and I want to find the endpoints (u,v,w),(x,y,z) of that object centered at the midpoint and oriented along the vector.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2009 #2
    It sounds like you want to find points on the line defined by the two points you mention first. In that case, note that every point x = (x, y, z) on that line satisfies the equation x = (d - a)s + a for some number s, where a = (a, b, c) and d = (d, e, f). After some thought you should see why. You should also then see that the constant vector a in the above equation can be any position vector on the line, including the "midpoint" you mentioned previously. Does this help with your question?
    Of course, you can also do this geometrically, without referring to the algebraicization. Just draw the triangle created by the position vectors a and d and the rest should follow.

4. Aug 3, 2009 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi fenpark15! :smile:

Hint: If the centre is C, and the endpoints are A and D, then the new endpoints will be C ± a multiple of (D - A). :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook