1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Points On A Plane

1. Jul 3, 2008 #1

danago

Gold Member

The three points (1,1,-1), (3,3,2) and (3,-1,-2) determine a plane. Find:
    1. A vector normal to the plane
    2. The equation of the plane
    3. The distance of the plane from the origin

For part 1 i just said let:
    [tex]
    \begin{array}{l}
    \overrightarrow {OA} = < 1,1, - 1 > \\
    \overrightarrow {OB} = < 3,3,2 > \\
    \overrightarrow {OC} = < 3, - 1, - 2 > \\
    \end{array}
    [/tex]

then:

[tex]
    \begin{array}{l}
    \overrightarrow {AB} = < 2,2,3 > \\
    \overrightarrow {AC} = < 2, - 2, - 1 > \\
    \end{array}
    [/tex]

Since the vectors AB and AC both lie on the plane, i just need to find a vector normal to both.

[tex]
    \overrightarrow {AB} \times \overrightarrow {AC} = < 4,8, - 8 >
    [/tex]

For the equation of the plane i just said

[tex]
    \left( {\vec{p} - \left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
    1 \\
    1 \\
    { - 1} \\
    \end{array}} \right)} \right) \cdot \left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
    4 \\
    8 \\
    { - 8} \\
    \end{array}} \right) = 0
    [/tex]

Where vector p is some point on the plane.

For the final part, i think i did it correctly, but not sure if it is the most efficient way of doing it. I assumed that the question was supposed to say the perpendicular distance.

What i did was find the projection of OA (since A lies on the plane) onto a vector which is normal to the plane, n, and then calculate its magnitude.

[tex]
    \begin{array}{l}
    {\mathop{\rm proj}\nolimits} _{\overrightarrow n } \overrightarrow {OA} = \frac{{\overrightarrow {OA} \cdot \overrightarrow n }}{{\overrightarrow n .\overrightarrow n }}\overrightarrow n = \frac{{\overrightarrow {OA} \cdot \overrightarrow n }}{{\left| {\overrightarrow n } \right|}}\widehat{n} \\
    \therefore \left| {{\mathop{\rm proj}\nolimits} _{\overrightarrow n } \overrightarrow {OA} } \right| = \frac{{\overrightarrow {OA} \cdot \overrightarrow n }}{{\left| {\overrightarrow n } \right|}} = 5/3 \\
    \end{array}
    [/tex]

Does that look ok? Its mainly the last part i was a bit iffy about; i think ive done parts 1 and 2 correctly, unless ive made errors in my calculations.

Thanks in advance,
    Dan.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

I got the same answer for your first two parts. For the last part you have to find the distance of the perpendicular line from O to the plane. I don't think you need to use projection here. Since the normal is already perpendicular to the plane, you can let [itex]k \vec{n}[/itex] be the vector from the origin to the plane. Clearly the individual directional scalar components of [itex]k\vec{n}[/tex] satisfy the equation of the plane, since [itex]k\vec{n}[/itex] is itself on the plane. You can make use of that to find the length of kn.

4. Jul 4, 2008 #3

danago

Gold Member

Oh so pretty much form the equation:

[tex]
    \left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
    {4k - 1} \\
    {8k - 1} \\
    { - 8k + 1} \\
    \end{array}} \right) \cdot \left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
    4 \\
    8 \\
    { - 8} \\
    \end{array}} \right) = 0
    [/tex]

And then solve for k? And then find the magnitude of [tex]k\vec{n}[/tex]? I did all that and got the same answer so atleast i know my reasoning in the first method i did was correct :smile:

Thanks again for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?