Solving Poiseuille's Law Flow Rate Problem | Help Needed

In summary, the question is about finding the flow rate of a tube with two sections of different lengths and radii, given a pressure difference and viscosity. The hint given is to refer to gauge pressure and to consider the pressure difference across each section separately.
rddimtbo
I'm having difficulty with a question and would appreciate a point in the right direction. The question is, "What is the flow rate of a tube that consists of two sections, the first with length 20cm and radius 0.15cm and the second part with length 1.0 cm and .05cm radius. The pressure difference across the entire length is 3 cmHg and viscosity is .801 cp.
We were given a hint that we should refer to gauge pressure (ie: P1 = 3 cm Hg and P3 = 0) with this one, and I'm still not getting the correct answer (which is 9.83 cm^3/s) Any ideas as to which direction to turn would?

My work:
For section 1:
V/t = 3.14 * r1^4 (p1-p2)/8(eta)L1
For section 2:
V/t = 3.14 * r2^4 (p2-p3)/8(eta)L2
and
p1-p3 = 3 cm Hg
When I calculate this as p1 equalling 3 cm Hg and p1 equalling 0 cm Hg, I am able to find p2 and then apply this to the first equation to solve for V/t. My answer is not anywhere close to the actual. Is there another equation i should be considering in this problem? If there is, I don't see it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any help is much appreciated. You should note that the pressure difference across the two sections is not the same. The pressure at the end of the first section (P2) is not 0 cmHg, and the pressure at the start of the second section (P2) is not 3 cmHg. You can calculate the pressure difference across each section separately by solving each of the equations you wrote. Once you have the pressure difference across each section, you can solve for the flow rate through each section and then sum them together to get the total flow rate.

It looks like you are on the right track with using Poiseuille's Law to solve this problem. However, there may be a few things that you are missing in your calculations.

Firstly, make sure that you are using the correct units for all of your variables. In this case, the pressure difference should be in units of Pascals (Pa) rather than cmHg. You can convert cmHg to Pa by multiplying by 133.3.

Secondly, you should also take into account the fact that the flow rate is the same for both sections of the tube. This means that the volume flow rate in section 1 should be equal to the volume flow rate in section 2. This can be represented as:

V1/t = V2/t

You can use this equation to solve for one unknown variable in terms of the other.

Lastly, make sure that you are using the correct values for the viscosity (eta) and the lengths of the two sections of the tube. Double check your calculations to ensure that all of your values are correct.

If you are still having trouble, you may want to reach out to your instructor or classmates for further clarification. They may be able to provide additional guidance or point out any mistakes in your calculations.

I hope this helps and good luck with your problem!

1. What is Poiseuille's Law and how is it related to flow rate?

Poiseuille's Law is an equation that describes the relationship between flow rate, pressure, and the properties of a fluid. It states that flow rate is directly proportional to the pressure gradient and the fourth power of the radius of a cylindrical pipe, and inversely proportional to the length and viscosity of the fluid. This means that as the pressure gradient and radius increase, flow rate increases, while length and viscosity decrease flow rate.

2. How do I solve a Poiseuille's Law flow rate problem?

To solve a Poiseuille's Law flow rate problem, you will need to know the values of the pressure gradient, pipe radius, pipe length, and fluid viscosity. Substitute these values into the Poiseuille's Law equation and solve for flow rate. It is important to use consistent units for all values in the equation.

3. What units should I use for Poiseuille's Law?

The units used for Poiseuille's Law will depend on the values you are given. The pressure gradient should be in units of force per unit area (such as Pa or N/m2), the radius should be in units of length (such as meters), the length should be in units of length (such as meters), and the viscosity should be in units of force multiplied by time divided by area (such as Pa·s/m2).

4. Can Poiseuille's Law be used for all types of fluids?

Poiseuille's Law is most accurate for Newtonian fluids, which have a constant viscosity regardless of shear stress. However, it can also be used for non-Newtonian fluids with some modifications. In general, it is not accurate for highly turbulent or compressible fluids.

5. How can I use Poiseuille's Law to optimize flow rate?

To optimize flow rate using Poiseuille's Law, you can manipulate the variables in the equation. For example, by increasing the pressure gradient or pipe radius, you can increase flow rate. Additionally, using a fluid with a lower viscosity or a shorter pipe length can also increase flow rate. However, there may be practical limitations to consider, such as cost and feasibility.