Explain Poiseuille's Law - Learn Quickly

• Thread starter SarcasticBunny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, Poiseuille's Law gives the resistance to flow of a fluid in a circular duct under streamline flow conditions. It can be derived by understanding the terms in the equation, the definition of viscosity, and the integration process for cylindrical shells. If you are having trouble understanding the equation, please specify which step you are struggling with.
SarcasticBunny
hey guys, can someone explain me Poiseuillie's law, because, I'm reading and reading and reading and don't understand ;(

Physics news on Phys.org
SarcasticBunny said:
hey guys, can someone explain me Poiseuillie's law, because, I'm reading and reading and reading and don't understand ;(

Hi SarcasticBunny. Welcome to Physics Forums!.

Please be more specific. There are numerous aspects to deriving Poiseuille's law, and it is derived in a couple of different ways. Please give us more details.

Chet

SarcasticBunny said:

Poiseuille's Law gives the resistance to flow of a fluid in a circular duct under certain flow conditions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagen–Poiseuille_equation

Here's one way of setting about understanding Poiseuille's equation. You might like to say which step or steps are giving you trouble.
1. Understand what all the terms in the equation mean.
2. Understand what is meant by streamline flow, and that Poiseuille's equation applies only for streamline flow.
3. Understand the definition of viscosity [itex]\eta[/itex]. This is crucial.
4. Understand how to apply this definition across a cylindrical shell of fluid in the pipe.
5. Integrate the resulting equation with the boundary condition v = 0 when r = a (= tube radius) to give [itex]v = \frac{p}{4 \eta L} (a^2 - r^2)[/itex].
6. Integrate up the volume of fluid flowing per unit time through each cylindrical shell, to give the volume flowing per second through the whole pipe, that is to get Poiseuille's formula.

Thank you:)
Philip Wood said:
Here's one way of setting about understanding Poiseuille's equation. You might like to say which step or steps are giving you trouble.
1. Understand what all the terms in the equation mean.
2. Understand what is meant by streamline flow, and that Poiseuille's equation applies only for streamline flow.
3. Understand the definition of viscosity [itex]\eta[/itex]. This is crucial.
4. Understand how to apply this definition across a cylindrical shell of fluid in the pipe.
5. Integrate the resulting equation with the boundary condition v = 0 when r = a (= tube radius) to give [itex]v = \frac{p}{4 \eta L} (a^2 - r^2)[/itex].
6. Integrate up the volume of fluid flowing per unit time through each cylindrical shell, to give the volume flowing per second through the whole pipe, that is to get Poiseuille's formula.

What is Poiseuille's Law?

Poiseuille's Law is a scientific equation that describes the relationship between fluid flow, pressure, and resistance in a cylindrical tube.

How is Poiseuille's Law calculated?

Poiseuille's Law is calculated using the equation Q = (πΔP r^4)/(8ηL), where Q is the flow rate, ΔP is the pressure difference, r is the radius of the tube, η is the viscosity of the fluid, and L is the length of the tube.

What does Poiseuille's Law tell us about fluid flow?

Poiseuille's Law tells us that the flow rate of a fluid is directly proportional to the pressure difference and the fourth power of the radius, and inversely proportional to the viscosity and length of the tube.

What are the applications of Poiseuille's Law?

Poiseuille's Law is commonly used in the study of fluid mechanics, particularly in the analysis of blood flow in the human body and the design of medical devices such as catheters and respirators.

How can I learn Poiseuille's Law quickly?

The best way to learn Poiseuille's Law quickly is to familiarize yourself with the equation and its components, and to practice solving problems using the equation. There are also many online resources and tutorials available to help you understand the concept and its applications.