Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poisonous lake?

  1. May 18, 2016 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2016 #2
    Could be.
    But the story is kind of vague and sparse of information.
    The water report and veterinary report have not been done or completed yet, so it is premature to pin-point.
    Still they are relying on caution that it could be from drinking the water.
    We obviously do not know where the dogs have been in the hours or recent days before the deaths and illness.

    Still, if contaminated, the toxity of the bacteria can shows symptoms quite quickly.
  4. May 18, 2016 #3


    User Avatar
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

    Cyanobacteria is poisonous to dogs, but if there was toxic bacteria in the water, wouldn't the dogs have had symptoms first? The article just says that they "died shortly after" being in the water.

    Last edited: May 18, 2016
  5. May 18, 2016 #4

    jim mcnamara

    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    I would bet on anatoxin-a - a powerful neurologic toxin produced by - can be fatal in a matter of a few minutes.


    These genera blue-green alagae have been shown to produce Anatoxin-a:

    Oscillatoria and Anabaena are goto lab fare in freshman Biology - prepared slides are best.
  6. May 18, 2016 #5


    User Avatar
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

    I wish the article stated some more details on the dogs' death.
    Anabaena is beautiful!
  7. May 20, 2016 #6
    Thank you all for your replies.
    If the algae-related toxin hypothesis is true, one has to hope such organisms don't end up in drinking water reservoirs.
    I seem to understand that the conditions for their growth are such that they could hardly thrive there.
    Some posters in the Yahoo thread say drinking water is tested for contaminants before distribution - but can you really test it for 'everything'?
  8. May 20, 2016 #7


    User Avatar
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

    If you're talking about bacteria, of course, with DNA tests.
  9. May 20, 2016 #8
    But I meant 'can' as in 'are we going to spend the money to do it', not as in 'is it technically possible'.
    Well, let's hope we don't have that problem in the first place.
  10. May 20, 2016 #9


    User Avatar
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

    Well, it's not exactly "cheap" (depends on your standards), but the technology has been out there for quite some time and DNA testing can be done quite efficiently. If contaminated water becomes a serious problem, as suggested in the references you linked to, then there is no reason why they shouldn't test the water. It's really just a matter of whether it is necessary or not.
  11. May 20, 2016 #10
    If you are in the UK then your drinking water is tested regularly, with all the results being recorded and collated by the Drinking Water Inspectorate, which also has advice for consumers on its website.
  12. Jun 11, 2016 #11
  13. Jun 12, 2016 #12


    User Avatar
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

  14. Jun 12, 2016 #13


    User Avatar
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

    I remember there have been some previous such cases, also in England. I cannot recall detail at this moment, if it comes back I will post it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted

Similar Discussions: Poisonous lake?
  1. Evolution of poison (Replies: 6)

  2. Poisonous berries (Replies: 15)

  3. Fe toxic/poison (Replies: 5)

  4. Banana poisonous part (Replies: 2)