Poisonous lake?

• Thread starter lavoisier
  • Start date

Answers and Replies

256bits
Gold Member
Could be.
But the story is kind of vague and sparse of information.
The water report and veterinary report have not been done or completed yet, so it is premature to pin-point.
Still they are relying on caution that it could be from drinking the water.
We obviously do not know where the dogs have been in the hours or recent days before the deaths and illness.

Still, if contaminated, the toxity of the bacteria can shows symptoms quite quickly.
https://msu.edu/~mdr/vol15no2/algae.html

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
jim mcnamara
Mentor
I would bet on anatoxin-a - a powerful neurologic toxin produced by - can be fatal in a matter of a few minutes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatoxin-a

These genera blue-green alagae have been shown to produce Anatoxin-a:
Anabaena
Aphanizomenon
Cylindrospermum
Microcystis
Oscillatoria
Planktothrix
Raphidiopsis

Oscillatoria and Anabaena are goto lab fare in freshman Biology - prepared slides are best.

ProfuselyQuarky
Gold Member
I would bet on anatoxin-a - a powerful neurologic toxin produced by - can be fatal in a matter of a few minutes.
I wish the article stated some more details on the dogs' death.
Oscillatoria and Anabaena are goto lab fare in freshman Biology - prepared slides are best.
Anabaena is beautiful!

Thank you all for your replies.
If the algae-related toxin hypothesis is true, one has to hope such organisms don't end up in drinking water reservoirs.
I seem to understand that the conditions for their growth are such that they could hardly thrive there.
Some posters in the Yahoo thread say drinking water is tested for contaminants before distribution - but can you really test it for 'everything'?

ProfuselyQuarky
Gold Member
but can you really test it for 'everything'?
If you're talking about bacteria, of course, with DNA tests.

Indeed.
But I meant 'can' as in 'are we going to spend the money to do it', not as in 'is it technically possible'.
Well, let's hope we don't have that problem in the first place.

ProfuselyQuarky
Gold Member
Indeed.
But I meant 'can' as in 'are we going to spend the money to do it', not as in 'is it technically possible'.
Well, let's hope we don't have that problem in the first place.
Well, it's not exactly "cheap" (depends on your standards), but the technology has been out there for quite some time and DNA testing can be done quite efficiently. If contaminated water becomes a serious problem, as suggested in the references you linked to, then there is no reason why they shouldn't test the water. It's really just a matter of whether it is necessary or not.

Thank you all for your replies.
If the algae-related toxin hypothesis is true, one has to hope such organisms don't end up in drinking water reservoirs.
I seem to understand that the conditions for their growth are such that they could hardly thrive there.
Some posters in the Yahoo thread say drinking water is tested for contaminants before distribution - but can you really test it for 'everything'?
If you are in the UK then your drinking water is tested regularly, with all the results being recorded and collated by the Drinking Water Inspectorate, which also has advice for consumers on its website.

epenguin
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I remember there have been some previous such cases, also in England. I cannot recall detail at this moment, if it comes back I will post it.